Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: RR disappointment  (Read 2924 times)

Offline shawnwri

• House Bee
RR disappointment
« on: August 24, 2009, 04:01:17 pm »
Thought to try a super of RR this year and it was a disappointment.  Put the super on two weeks ago and crowded the bees down and they still haven't drawn out the first bit of foundation even though they have an acre of buckwheat right in front of them.  It has been a disappointing year for honey production overall considering we have had almost ideal weather (not to hot, not too wet, not too dry).  Miserable insects. :rant:

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
Re: RR disappointment
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 04:19:31 pm »
Thought to try a super of RR this year and it was a disappointment.  Put the super on two weeks ago and crowded the bees down and they still haven't drawn out the first bit of foundation even though they have an acre of buckwheat right in front of them.  It has been a disappointing year for honey production overall considering we have had almost ideal weather (not to hot, not too wet, not too dry).  Miserable insects. :rant:

Beekeeping is full of Trials and Tribulations, don't be so hard on yourself nor the " Miserable Insects " as you see them. If you need the honey more than they need it, perhaps you could just buy it and give your Bees to someone who would appreciate them for what they are.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 06:42:29 pm »
For Ross Rounds i think a spring flow works better. The flow right now off of the Buckwheat usually  ends by early afternoon. This time of year they may be back filling the brood nest rather than drawing new comb. They only draw new comb as needed and if the brood nest is not expanding they may not draw any new comb this late.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 06:54:44 pm »
OH, those miserable flowers. They didn't put off their Apr. and May blooms until I put my super on in Aug. OH, those miserable, detestable, uncooperating flowers. I think I'll mow them all down.

I know how you feel, shawnwri, Nature should cater more to our plans.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 07:00:32 pm »
Be gentle Shawnwri!!! You are posting on a bee lovers forum and will never get any sympathy if you express disdain for the lovable honeybees.

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 08:42:40 pm »
OH, those miserable flowers. They didn't put off their Apr. and May blooms until I put my super on in Aug. OH, those miserable, detestable, uncooperating flowers. I think I'll mow them all down.

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 08:45:45 pm »
Shawnwri,

Again, let it go and no hard feelings, you'll get it right sooner or later, but in the mean time, enjoy the bees.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 09:25:45 pm »
You need a heavy flow and a crowded hive...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline beee farmer

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 12:46:09 am »

Iddee,  You can start over here with he mowing.. I think theres a few flowers on that 30 acres , heck I will even put fuel in the tractor for ya! :-D
"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do"  Benjamin Franklin

Offline shawnwri

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 12:20:59 pm »
For Ross Rounds i think a spring flow works better. The flow right now off of the Buckwheat usually  ends by early afternoon. This time of year they may be back filling the brood nest rather than drawing new comb. They only draw new comb as needed and if the brood nest is not expanding they may not draw any new comb this late.
  Thanks for the educational reply.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2009, 09:31:02 pm »
I did OK on an early flow,but Rioss Rounds during the late summer/autumn are hard to make the bees work.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2009, 09:41:09 pm »
i had thought that the idea of RR was pretty cool, but have since heard that they are hard to use?  you have to crowd the bees and have a really heavy flow going on.  seems like a good way to encourage swarming?

don't know.  maybe one of these days i'll get brave and try a super of them, but at the moment i seems like a risk when i can just cut and jar comb from honey supers.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2009, 09:46:34 pm »
Bees crowded to the verge of swarming do the best with filling it quickly. When crowded they work harder building comb and get it done quicker which also results in less travel stains if they are filled quickly.(nicer looking comb). It also doesn't hurt to turn the box around a couple times while they are building comb to get them to work both ends. But I am still learning and will try again next season.