Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Three removals today and finally one I can be proud of!  (Read 3667 times)

Offline Bill W.

• House Bee
    • Bees by the Sea
Three removals today and finally one I can be proud of!
« on: July 19, 2008, 09:07:27 pm »
I did my fifth, sixth, and seventh hive removals today.  The first two were hives that had been sprayed.  They were not fun.  I may have gotten one usable hive out of the two if I give them a queen (neither had a living queen that I could find).  One hive had been huge - nearly four feet of stud space - but was down to perhaps a pound of live bees.  The stench of dead brood was unpleasant to say the least.  No sign of disease - just brood that didn't have enough bees to support it.  I boxed them up together and dropped them off at my quarantine site.  If they still appear lively on Wednesday, I'll give them one of my spare queens and see what they can do.

Now, I started doing removals six weeks ago and, as of 1PM today, had done six.  None of them was exactly a fun experience.  From those six removals, I netted one hive that is queenright but struggling, one with no queen and not looking promising for raising its own, two that I combined together and then had to combine into a strong hive because they were failing, and two that are my new "toxic" hive.  A lot of work for not much reward.

However, number seven - my final hive today restored my faith.  Nothing special about this hive - it was small and I think was probably a swarm from this year that moved into some older comb.  However, I didn't have to destroy it and kill hundreds of bees to get the comb.  I didn't have to do any crazy contortions to get to it.  The bees were so gentle and disinterested in me, I wonder if they were getting their nectar working one of those "special" plantations in the forest.  I think I killed three bees in the whole process.  The queen was right there waiting in the middle of the biggest brood comb and continued to do her business as I banded the comb in place.

Anyway - I finally have some pics to show of something other than a bucket full of mashed comb and bees.   :-D

Offline jeeper038

• New Bee
Re: Three removals today and finally one I can be proud of!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 10:25:00 pm »
Very nice. I'm thinking about doing some removals myself but just a little nervous still. I had a call today for an easy one that was exposed already from some construction work.  It was just too far away so i turned it down.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 01:19:55 am »
If this colony could talk it would tell you that the combs are older than you think they are, you may have had bees in this spot before and something happened, the combs were left and a new swarm moved in (a small one) or they swarmed and few, including a queen was left behind.

Glad you were able to save them, thanks for the pics.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 10:41:01 am »
Doing cutouts fro bees is a tough proposition for me too. They often dont make it. I have found I get more wax than anything else. Honey too, but i just feed it back to bees in my yard anyways. You have to go into cutout w/ idea that all you are getting is the fee you cahrge for a lot of work. Anything else is a bonus.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline ArmucheeBee

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 12:41:07 am »
I did my first cutout 5 weeks ago.  After reading several websites, I killed the feral queen (I know, I know) and bought an Italian.  The hive is doing great for its small size and is drawing out plastic foundation great too.  I fed them for 1 week after the queen was put in and stopped due to ready the forums. 

Do you all think requeening improves the success of a cutout?  I'm going for another on Saturday.  A lot of bees at this house, more than my healthy hive has.  I plan to keep the queen but after reading the somber cutout stories here, I don't know what to think.
Stephen Stewart
2nd Grade Teacher

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich."  SpongeBob Squarepants

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 10:57:59 am »
I did my first cutout 5 weeks ago.  After reading several websites, I killed the feral queen (I know, I know) and bought an Italian.  The hive is doing great for its small size and is drawing out plastic foundation great too.  I fed them for 1 week after the queen was put in and stopped due to ready the forums. 

Do you all think requeening improves the success of a cutout?  I'm going for another on Saturday.  A lot of bees at this house, more than my healthy hive has.  I plan to keep the queen but after reading the somber cutout stories here, I don't know what to think.

Feral queens carry some of the best genetics you will find for your area, so you want her to survive and generate offspring, if its a weak hive then do what you can to save them, but to 86 perfectly good queens that are adapted to your area doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

All of my colonies presently are from cut outs and swarms. I am ecstatic whenever I find the queen on my cut-outs.

In addition, if you don't get her but have fresh eggs and lots of bees they should make a new queen.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

anything