Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: where in the heck are they finding it??  (Read 6879 times)

Offline gmcharlie

• House Bee
Re: where in the heck are they finding it??
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2009, 11:09:19 am »
Well we now have  crocus and maples.....  so its too late to figure it out...   Checked all teh hives yesterday,  and lots of pollen stored already...  brood in some,  last years questionable queens are still that....    gota get some new ones quick!

Offline mherndon

• House Bee
  • New Bee
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2009, 12:13:56 pm »
If they are using the corn meal, I wonder what they would do with soybean meal?  Corn is only 7.5-8% protein and soybean meal would be anywhere from 44% to 46%.  Not sure if they would take to soybean meal though.  Just a thought if more protein would be beneficial.

Mark
Starting my 3rd year and still having a ball!

Offline Dane Bramage

• Field Bee
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2009, 12:40:48 pm »
http://honeybeenet.gsfc.nasa.gov/Honeybees/Forage_info.htm

Lists bloom dates for different regions.

That is a pretty good source.  Use that for a starting idea of what natives (seems they're not listing non-natives, at least for my area), check outside to see if they are indeed actually in bloom, and then perhaps cross-check with wiki pollen source for pollen color confirmation.

After a record cold/snowy Winter, we've had quite a few semi-warm (50-60°F) days so far this year.  In January-Feb mine were bringing in Hazelnut pollen (orchards are quite close by) and now they are also bringing in Alder and, possibly, the first dandelion.  Next the dandelions will really come in with the Willow and Maples and that first black pollen from all the tulips.  That's the real start of the season here and then it just accelerates with all the fruit trees, etc.,.  Yeah Spring!! I can't wait!

Cheers,
Dane

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2009, 12:45:21 pm »
How about pussywillow's it is greenish in in color ?

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)

« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 01:12:33 pm by Jim 134 »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2009, 01:11:33 pm »
bleep Willows???

I live in N Central MA. the first pollen is shunk cabbage last of Feb. first of March is pussywillow's and maple tree's

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 08:22:05 am by Jim 134 »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2009, 01:48:41 pm »
Here in southeastern Colorado the dandelions are blooming I I just saw some of the trees, unknown kind, are blooming. The trees have big red blooms and lots of them. No green grass or flowers yet. I did see the catmint, Salvia, and others are all cmoing through the ground.

Offline lrushton

• New Bee
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2009, 05:09:30 pm »
sounds like you're wondering the same thing i was about a month ago here in S.C. mine where bringing in a lot of pale green colored pollen. i had to look really hard(after i posted a ? here) to find a mossy looking little ground cover weed that had small green blooms about the size of a pencil head. they were wearing them out. you have to remember, GOD cares for these amazing little creatures.

anything