Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Screened bottoms and plastic frames.  (Read 3517 times)

Offline OPAVP

• House Bee
Screened bottoms and plastic frames.
« on: October 02, 2009, 12:38:18 am »
Good day everyone,
I am writing from Alberta,Canada.

Do some of you have experience with Pierco plastic frames,both used in brood-and surpluss supers? I use shallow plastic frames,for both. But it seems I don't get enough bees. Are the queens reluctant to lay in 2 shallow supers?
Then ,who has lots of experience with wire(open) bottoms?

If you have some time I.d like to hear from you.
Thank you,
OPAVP

Offline RayMarler

• Field Bee
Re: Screened bottoms and plastic frames.
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 04:47:32 am »
I would say, if you're running shallows for brood, then you need to run at least three and preferably four boxes. I would get them strong and gang busters in four, maybe five, then reduce them back down to two or three using a queen excluder, just before a nectar flow. This would build them up strong in numbers but then reduce the brood just before a nectar flow so you would get more honey stored instead of nectar fed to young larva. The numbers of boxes and timing all depends on nectar flows and length of season in your local.

I run screen bottom boards here, can't say as I have an opinion about them. They are needed for powder sugar dusting for varroa treatment, which I did last year but not this year.

Offline MustbeeNuts

• Field Bee
    • Great White Betta
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 07:44:58 am »
Queens are just reluctant to lay on plastic. :) Least mine were, I stopped using it, others seem to have no problem at all?  SBB nice for ventalation. In the fall I cover mine up with a piece of light ply.
Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 05:48:29 pm »

I have 5 active hives of Russians, all on Mann Lake PF-120 all plastic frames, these are Illinois or mediums, no problems at all.

I have no experience with shallows !!

I air out frames for several days before puting on a additional light bees wax coating, then use them.

I have no complaints with plastic, like anything else that is different it takes a little different managment I guess

Remember all Beekeeping is LOCAL what works for me may not work 500 miles away !!

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 08:02:46 pm »
Once they are using the plastic it should be accepted like any other comb.  But at first, they may hesitate to use it.  That has been my experience with the Pierco and the RiteCell.  I have had better luck with the PF120s and PF100s.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline ArmucheeBee

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 11:40:17 pm »
I have PF120 and have no problem with laying.  They come with wax coating.  If you use frames without wax coating, I could see a problem.
Stephen Stewart
2nd Grade Teacher

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich."  SpongeBob Squarepants

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 10:15:07 am »
I have PF120 and have no problem with laying.  They come with wax coating.  If you use frames without wax coating, I could see a problem.

Yes I agree the Mann Lake PF-100/120 frames do come coated with wax !!

Only problem I see with that is - How in the heck can they spray wax that THIN and say it is "wax coated" ?

Legally it is, I know, for real it AIN"T !!

I still give mine a thin swipe of wax with a 4 in foam roller, and I'm more then satisfied with them, every body do their own thing !

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline ArmucheeBee

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2009, 04:08:20 pm »
The reason I said "with wax" is because several manufactors have bare plastic.  Didn't know if that was known or not.  I could see how bees would not be impressed with that stuff.  I've got some pretty nicely waxed frames lately from mann lake.  I think if they get it too thick it would negate the impressions of comb?
Stephen Stewart
2nd Grade Teacher

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich."  SpongeBob Squarepants

Offline scdw43

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2009, 11:41:37 am »
I am keeping a friends hives while he is deployed to SW Asia. He has Pierco frames in his hives.  The queen uses them to walk over to the next wax comb. I have not seen any brood or honey in any of them. He has two in each 10 frame box.  They just turn it into an 8 frame box. I will not be buying any for my hives.  I will also not be taking them out of his hives. That is his choice, i will be just trying to keep his hives healthy.
Winter Ventilation: Wet bees die in hours maybe minutes, no matter how much honey is in the hive.

anything