Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Leawood Kansas Cutout  (Read 3286 times)

Offline D Semple

• Field Bee
Leawood Kansas Cutout
« on: May 31, 2011, 01:03:49 pm »
Small Boxout Window cutout in Leawood, KS Memorial day.

Thank you Vets for all the freedoms you have given us.

Don

Offline montauk170

• House Bee
Re: Leawood Kansas Cutout
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 03:24:28 pm »
Guess the thermal imager didn't lie this time.  :-D
Good one there. Did you get the queen?

BTW, I recall you mentioning this before in another thread, the thermal imager, what type of structure does it not work on?
Brick? Stucco? ...?

Offline D Semple

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 04:05:21 pm »
Guess the thermal imager didn't lie this time.  :-D
Good one there. Did you get the queen?

BTW, I recall you mentioning this before in another thread, the thermal imager, what type of structure does it not work on?
Brick? Stucco? ...?

Jack, I didn't see the queen, but when I had all the comb removed there was about 3 lbs of bees still in the cavity and I just kept scooping them up in my hand and putting them in the hive I set up on the ladder. And she must of been in one of the scoops cause they all moved into the hive by nightfall.

I keep asking myself doing these cutouts "now how would old eagleyes find this queen", but invariably I loose patience and start thinking about how good a cold beer and a cigar sounds and just start scooping them in to get the job done. (knock on wood, the 7 cutouts and 8 swarm catches this year are all queen-right. I did have one swarm abscond.)

As far as the thermal imager, in my experiance it doesn't work well dealing with brick, stone, traditional stucco, vinyl siding, and surfaces that are wet, or are already hot from being heated by the sun.  And, because the bees don't keep honey comb warm, the outside of the colonies don't show up well. It's like JP said last week (paraphrasing) "Heat detection guns and Thermal imagers only show you the minimum extent of the colony".

About time you posted up some Thermal images Jack.  :)

Don

Offline montauk170

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 06:57:08 pm »
Have two site checks this afternoon, I think I'll bring the Thermal Imager for a test run.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 07:38:21 pm »
Sweet

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 06:26:48 pm »
Very cool, thanks for posting.  Have you gone after the big hive in the crawlspace yet?
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 10:41:17 pm »
patience my friend patience :-D           ....schawee
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline hankdog1

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 10:49:40 pm »
bees above the door that's one hum dinger of a door bell right there
Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!

Offline D Semple

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2011, 12:09:56 am »
Very cool, thanks for posting.  Have you gone after the big hive in the crawlspace yet?

No Drew, I'll get to it in about 3 or 4 weeks. The old guys not in a hurry (says they have been there for years) and I figure it will be good and cool down there when we hit a real hot spell.

I've about run out of steam for removals this year and it's flat getting hot out, I'm thinking I'll quit taking any new jobs.

Went on a monster swarm call this evening only to get there in time to watch them fly off. (guy sent me a picture and I was so excited about the size of it I told him I would come get them for free  :whip:, jinxed myself)

Sorry to hear about your EFB, that's a tough one.

Don

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2011, 12:28:33 am »
I love that imaging stuff! Would have saved me a couple of hours today!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2011, 08:45:00 am »
Just need to come off some of that cash and buy one.  Clean out from under that mattress.

anything