Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Trapout question  (Read 2182 times)

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
Trapout question
« on: August 10, 2011, 10:03:20 pm »
Started my first trapout July 11th. Removed one nuc of bees and brought them home. Replaced it with a double-nuc. Put in a frame of eggs and brood. About a week to ten days ago, there were 3 queen cells in there. Went to check on it today and it was FULL of bees! But, I couldn't find a queen (which doesn't surprise me as crowded as it was) and there was no eggs or brood. I think it is still too soon for a laying queen. I think I can remove the cone to let the bees start robbing out the honey from the old hive on Friday.  My question is; does it matter if they are still queenless or have a virgin queen? The last thing I need is for them to go back into the old hive if they are queenless. I am going to put in another frame with brood and eggs when I go back on Friday, just to be sure. Also, about how long does it take for them to clean out the old hive so I can bring them home?
Thanks for your input!

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Trapout question
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 10:48:04 pm »
I doubt they will clean it out. You still have a queen and brood in the old hive. They will just start restocking the old hive and stay where they are. It takes more than 4 weeks to empty a hive with a trap out. Even if you take the new hive home, there are still enough bees in the old hive to continue working.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 07:50:43 am »
So I should leave it be for another week or so? Should I still put another frame of eggs/brood in the catch box, or wait and see with that?

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 12:26:17 pm »
It is too soon for the new queen to be laying. Give her another 10 days or more. This time of year, you may want to add a box to that one rather than try to make another hive. It will need all the bees it can get to make it over winter.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 11:15:16 am »
Following Iddee's advice early on I give a trap out 8 weeks (that's what I quote as well) to be sure that it's done before removing the cone for the new hive to rob it out.  It may be a little more time than necessary but I've found no reason to get in a hurry especially when I'm getting paid and want to make sure the job is professional and completed and on time.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 05:29:39 pm »
I talked to the lady and she is fine with waiting longer. I will check the nuc next week to see if there is anything new going on. How long should it take for the bees to completely rob out the old hive once I remove the cone?

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 08:18:41 pm »
Two to three days.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 10:34:58 pm »
Thanks for all the info!!