Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: just starting this spring  (Read 1792 times)

Offline theeht

• New Bee
just starting this spring
« on: February 26, 2012, 05:00:02 pm »
 Hello all,my name is earle and i live in northeast ohio(lake county, mentor) and i'm going to be starting out this spring with (2) 3# packages to be delivered on 4-18 and (1) nuc to be delivered on 5-28. i have all my woodwear that i got at queenright and have spent the winter puting it together and painting it. i have been reading post on this site and reading books(beekeeping for dummies and better bee keeping) to try to get a better understanding of what it takes to get this hobby off to a good start. i do have some questions. one is how do you mix-up the sugar and water? do you go by the pound, a pound of sugar and a pound of water, or is it a cup of sugar to a cup of water, or a cup of sugar to a pound of water, or a pound of sugar to a cup of water? i have seen some recpices but i'm not sure on any of it. also do i start the feeding with pro-health in the mix or just the sugar water mix?
thank you for your time
earle

Offline backyard warrior

• House Bee
Re: just starting this spring
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 08:43:12 pm »
Hello sir welcome to the great site. This site has lots of knowledgeable beekeepers here.  Just so you  know at the top right of the site there is a search. Type in syrup and you will learn lots of info on the subject along with any other subjects you have questions on.  If you cant find what you are looking for just ask on the forum.  Bee Pro is used in the spring to build up a new package or nuc.  Its fine to use but when the nectar flow is on it shouldnt be used with an established hive that has honey supers on that has honey you are going to want to eat.   I would feed the syrup when you recieve the package untill you have two full deeps drawn with comb and there is honey in the comb around the brood nest which is in the center of your boxes at least 6 or some frames in each box for an established hive.  After the first year the bees dont need quite as much help but the first year they need the syrup to draw the wax out and have stores for winter.  Just make sure they dont backfill the brood nest and the queen has no where to lay eggs.  Once the first box is about 3/4 the way drawn out put another box of frames with foundation on top for them to draw that out.  Chris   Ps just relax and enjoy the bees dont get yourself all caught up am i doing the right thing bees been around for many many years your job is to help the bees and assist them with food and to help them with the mites and diseases if you arent sure just search or ask its quite a interesting and addicting hobby.  Chris

Offline backyard warrior

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 08:46:13 pm »
What i do with the syrup is take a 5 gallon bucket fill it half way with sugar and the rest boiling water  it is roughly a 1to1 mixture but not exact. In fall if they  need feed they should recieve the 2 to 1 syrup what i do is fill the bucket to the top with sugar and add very hot boiling water and mix it up and my bees seem to bee happy with this mixture as well.  It doesnt have to be exact but it should be close this is what i do and havent had a problem with drawing wax and storing the sugar syrup mixture. Chris

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 11:11:57 pm »

Hi Earle,

I am just a new bee also, got three hives in Dec.  I may not have done it just right but I put 5 lbs. of sugar in a gal. jug then fill the jug about half to 2/3rds with hot tape water, shake until most is dissolved let it sit for awhile then finish filling with hot water and shake some more.  I have quart feeders bottles on front of hives that I fill and I have a gallon poultry waterer that I put some #8 hardware wire, left from making SBB's, around watering area so bees don't drown and put the other quart in it out in bee yard for the one's flying around.  Good luck with your bees.

Joe

Offline CapnChkn

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 09:32:02 pm »
The basic idea here is to emulate the nectar flowers produce.  The main sugar in Flower nectar is Sucrose, the same as the granulated sugar in the paper bag you buy at the local Grocery store.  Flowers will produce a tiny dribble of anywhere from 25 to 70% sucrose.  Honeybees will then process that nectar to produce the Honey, which is primarily Fructose and Glucose.

2:1 syrup, or two parts granulated sugar to one part water is at 66% sugar.  This is closest to honey, before it starts getting super saturated in solution.  You would need to dissolve any crystals of sugar, the molecules will then just start using any solids as "seed," and you'll end up with a bunch of rock candy.

1:1 syrup, or one part sugar to one part water is at 50% sugar.  This is closer to the actual nectar Bees are gathering.  A pint is around a pound, a liter is about a kilogram, of both granulated sugar or water.

I make 2:1 syrup by dissolving 2 parts sugar, by stirring with a long wooden spoon, in 1 part hard boiling water until the syrup turns clear.  I then put the lid on, set the pot in a bath of cold water until it's cool enough to funnel into jugs, and dilute it with water when I need it.  If I'm feeding for winter, I already have it done the way I need.
"Thinking is like sin, them that doesn't is scairt of it, and them that does gets to liking it so much they can't quit!"  -Josh Billings.

Offline theeht

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 02:58:28 pm »
hello all, i want to thank you for your replies and suggestions. I'm sure that i will be asking questions as i know this is going to be a learning year, i just hope that i don't screw things up. this is just a hobby for me I'm not out to make a million bucks, but maybe a few bucks. i also know that the first year is the building year. thanks again Earle

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 11:21:04 pm »
Don't just assume you won't get a crop.  If you chose a good place to put your hives and with luck and good weather, they can store an amazing lot of honey.  have the room available for them.   As soon as the bees are working on the seven and eight frames.  It is getting time for another box.  Keep that brood nest opened up by moving frames of foundation one at a time into the middle.  You need to rotate the two outside frames in also, so they get properly drawn out.  You have to make sure the bees can keep it all covered on cool nights but keep them stretching if the flowers are blooming.  Just keep reading.  You will soon figure out who to listen to.  Remember to have some fun and take the time to enjoy your bees.  Don't be afraid to go in and study your bees, but keep it down to once a week and then longer as you know more what is going on.   The thing that is most likely to cause you problems are the varroa mite.  You need to have a plan to deal with them.  learn how to do a sugar roll properly and about mid summer, start checking your mite load.  Sticky boards are good too.  Remember that beginners who do not know what their mite load is and what to do about it are called bee customers every spring.  it is great fun!