Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello everyone  (Read 2401 times)

Offline Rex

• House Bee
Hello everyone
« on: May 09, 2008, 01:13:59 am »
I'm Rex from Northern Cali.  Sacramento area to bee exact << bee humor there  8-)

I've just started with keeping bees, finally decided to take the plunge and follow an interest that has been with me since childhood.  I have an early memory of a smoker and some gloves in my grandfather's garage, although I never remember being around hives as a kid.

My two hives are just beginning and I hope to watch them thrive and grow, maybe get some honey out of the process too.  But mostly I want to learn as much as I can about these little creatures and help them survive.

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
Re: Hello everyone
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 07:46:52 am »
Hey there, Rex!

Hello and Welcome!  This is a great forum to learn about bees - a very friendly place. Be sure to investigate all the little "corners" of the site; there's a lot of good stuff. I especially like the 'search' function: many times I find that my question has already been asked & answered, and I don't have to wait for anyone to reply.

Are you involved with a local bee club? Looks like there's a club right there in Sacramento:
http://www.californiastatebeekeepers.com/affiliatedclubs.htm
Clubs are great places to find mentors and get connected with nearby beeks who can fill you in on all the "local" beekeeping info (such as best local suppliers).

Good luck with your bees!

Offline DennisB

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 09:52:43 am »
Welcome Rex. Enjoy all of the good info here.

Dennis

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 10:41:35 am »
Rex, welcome, you have found THE place to spend the best time, to learn, to ask questions, to tell us of your experiences (we are a nosey crew, and especially me).  You will find that soon a spell will be cast, that be the spell of the honeybee, you will also become addicted to honeybees, yeah!!!  Watch them, work with them, they will bring you joy, and keep you entertained as well.

You have the memory of a smoker and gloves in your Grandfather's garage.  He would most certainly have kept bees, perhaps you were too young to be involved, but you probably saw him in his bee garb.  That is why you have had that interest since early childhood, as you spoke about.  The memories of days gone by and events are always in our minds, even those recollection cannot always bring them to the forefront.  I think that is wonderful about the gloves and smoker of your Grandfather.

Tell us your stories as you go along with your bees, we are an interested bunch of people, you will see that.  Have that most beautiful and wonderful day, love our life we live.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline ElDoBill

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 03:16:21 pm »
Hi Rex, welcome to this informative and fun forum.  I'm in El Dorado about 40 miles east of Sacramento.  Check out the Sacramento Area Beekeepers Association.  You can get info at the Sacramento Beekeepers supply on X Street.  They have a class next month on natural beekeeping.  Three or four forum members are going to this.  Perhaps we'll see you there.

Offline Rex

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 07:47:07 pm »
Thanks for all the replies everyone.

@ ElDoBill - been a member of SABA for a couple of months now, and X street store is the place to go :)
I saw the class posted, but not sure I'll be able to make it this time.  I'll be at the bee booth at the County Fair this weekend, so maybe we'll meet up sometime.

anything