Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: thinkin out loud  (Read 6673 times)

Offline kbenz

• House Bee
thinkin out loud
« on: August 10, 2010, 09:44:19 pm »
I really like my tbh's(I have five now) planning on expanding next year. hopefully I will be able to winter them ok and be able to do splits in the spring. possibly buy some packages. I am thinking one day I would like to do it full time. doing mainly cut comb?  I have family here in NC also FL and NY. how hard would traveling with TBH's be for pollination?. I have read that Les Crowder  keeps 200 TBH's and also does almonds? how many TBH's is doable for one man and his wife(she helps with all but handling the bees)?

thanks for any input.......

Offline kbenz

• House Bee
Re: thinkin out loud
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 07:42:50 pm »
thinkin more bout it today, might make the switch to foundation-less langs. what ya think?

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 09:17:11 pm »
Or langs with just starter strips.   I bet there are a lot of pollinators do that.  Lang boxes are easier to move around. 

Offline kbenz

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 09:37:14 pm »
Or langs with just starter strips.  Lang boxes are easier to move around. 
kinda what I been thinkin also

bigbearomaha

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 09:47:26 pm »
the reason langs are easier to use for portability is because of the frames supporting the entire comb.

otherwise, you have a hive similar to a Warre style which is just a top bar.  The weight of the comb bouncing around on a truck bed is enough to collapse it without the support of the frame around it.

if you try to move comb not in a frame like that, you really want to keep an eye on how new it is.  newer comb is softer and more liable to collapse from the weight and activity.

Big Bear

Offline kbenz

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 10:00:14 pm »
do you think foundation less frames in a lang hive would work ok?

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 10:38:33 pm »
Foundationless frames with a starter strip. Yes.

bigbearomaha

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 11:00:27 pm »
I think so.  That's what  I use in langs is foundationless frames and they travel just fine as long as there is attachment on at least 3 sides.

I use wedge top frames, break out the wedge and turn it sideways.  They draw just fine from that.

Big Bear

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 11:22:45 pm »
I have thousands of foundationless frames in langs...

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfoundationless.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 09:39:02 am »
I'm satisfied they would work for a pollination gig. Just want to reiterate that comb age and temperature would be considerations when they are under transport though.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2010, 10:57:52 pm »
Having driven semi trucks of bees interstate, and knowing what kind of bumps I have hit, I would definitely use cross wires if I were going foundationless.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2010, 11:49:48 pm »
i have driven the truck across fields with supers full of foundationless frames.  as long as they are attached, they are fine.  i have never even lost one that wasn't fully attached.  only time i have broken them is if i got stupid during inspection and tipped them sideways when they were full and only attached on the top.  they will break then, especially on a really warm day!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2010, 12:09:42 am »
There might be a small bit of difference in a mile at 3 MPH and 1300 miles at 70 MPH.  :-D

And I-94 through Chicago would make the normal pasture feel as smooth as an ice rink.  :shock:
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2010, 10:29:48 am »
I-94 through Chicago would make the normal pasture feel as smooth as an ice rink.  :shock:

:lau: :lau: :lau:

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline caticind

• House Bee
  • Nothing sweeter...
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2010, 01:44:17 am »
If you like the build your own/less heavy box lifting side of the TBH, you might consider a long hive.  Think of a box that's wide enough and has a rabbet to hold standard frames (foundationless), but 4 feet long like a top hive.  I think they're the best of both worlds.

...Except for portability, that is.  If your vision of going full-time with beekeeping involves traveling for pollination, then yeah, I think langs with foundationless frames are the way to go.  I love my long hive, but darn is it heavy and unwieldy!

I read a stat somewhere that suggested one person could work 100-150 hives with 40 hours a week.
The bees would be no help; they would tumble over each other like golden babies and thrum wordlessly on the subjects of queens and sex and pollen-gluey feet. -Palimpsest

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2010, 08:05:32 am »
>I read a stat somewhere that suggested one person could work 100-150 hives with 40 hours a week.

I run 200 and have a lot less time than that..
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2010, 04:51:46 pm »
Depends on the man and his wife...
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2010, 09:10:11 pm »
For about 8 to 10 years in the 70s-80s I run about 200 hives and had a 40 to 45 Hr a week job.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2010, 09:52:32 pm »
>>>>Depends on the man and his wife...<<<<

Does that mean 200 with man and wife, and 300 with wife alone?  :?

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2010, 07:52:28 pm »
>>>>Depends on the man and his wife...<<<<

Does that mean 200 with man and wife, and 300 with wife alone?  :?
Sure :D

Just pointing out that this question is a bit general. People vary hugely in what they can do in certain amounts of time, whether they get more done with their spouse or without, etc.
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2010, 12:05:52 pm »
It all depends on how much you streamline your methods.  I now have 200 hives and a full time job and manage entirely by myself.  I could not have done that with the methods I was using when I had between 4 and 7 hives...
-------------------

anything