Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Late Season removal  (Read 3893 times)

Offline Boom Buzz

• House Bee
Late Season removal
« on: September 27, 2012, 02:25:51 am »
I got a call today to see if I would remove a colony from a shed.  It is pretty late here to be doing removals but the owner is removing the shed completely whether the bees are saved or not.  He'd rather they are saved but the schedule is the priority and he is not willing to wait til spring.

My usual set up is one deep and one medium for the brood box and this is what I would overwinter them in.  Not sure yet how much brood comb I will find, but what I do find will go into a deep.  It turns out I can piece together a medium with ten frames of capped honey from some in storage and  from a strong hive.  Plus it would be reasonable to feed all the way into late November (not everyday necessarily, but most days).  So I will feed like crazy to hep them fill as much of the deep as possible.

What else should I consider to give them the best chance of overwintering?  Thanks for any advice!

John

Offline Lazy W

• House Bee
Re: Late Season removal
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 08:52:16 am »
Of course it goes without saying if you can get the Queen they will have there best chance, especially this late in the season. 

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 09:12:55 am »
What size shed. Is it feasible to move the whole shed?
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 12:44:38 pm »
What size shed. Is it feasible to move the whole shed?

Or a wall?
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Boom Buzz

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 01:00:41 pm »
I haven't been so good at finding the queen on removals, so there is room for improvement and maybe if I go slow and methodical I can't spot and catch her.  Will definitely do my best to locate her.

The bees are in under the floor board of the shed.  The shed is old and in pretty bad shape.  The owner plans to remove it completely.  But I don't think moving the whole thing with bees intact is in the cards.  I like the idea of just moving it or just the wall if that's where they were located.  However, I do have a funky top bar hive that is set up to take a medium frame.  I'll have to see what the comb layout looks like, but maybe I could just cut out the floor board to fit over the TBH and drop it on top!?  Then deal with it in the spring.  Thanks for the ideas.

Offline duck

• House Bee
    • Big Thicket Bees
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 04:52:04 pm »
55 gallon drum cut in half, lay the floor over it, then a piece of tin over that, instant top bar lol..  probly not the best to winter in.  Im doing combines only for the next month.  I have already queened a few hives that were queenless with removal queens.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 01:32:51 pm »
I'll have to see what the comb layout looks like, but maybe I could just cut out the floor board to fit over the TBH and drop it on top!?  Then deal with it in the spring.  Thanks for the ideas.

The comb sections would have to fit perfectly but the problem you will likely run into is the weight of the colony. Depending on how long this thing's been there it could easily weigh 60lbs and upwards. I believe you will need to perform the cut out and take your chances.

Worse case scenario, combine them with another colony.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Boom Buzz

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 12:23:28 am »
Thanks all for the thoughts and ideas on this one.  I went out today to do the removal.  In the process of clearing out debris and clutter to access the bees I found 9 cans of wasp spray near where the bees were entering.  The cans looked like they had been there a while, but I didn't like the looks of it.  So I bagged it and declined to do the removal.  The guy I have been dealing with just bought the property recently (out of foreclosure) and he had no clue they had sprayed before.  Oh well!

Offline wildforager

• New Bee
    • Brooms By Little John
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 02:02:20 am »
Probably a wise choice. Sprayed bees + Late season removal = Deadout in spring.
A weed is just a plant in the wrong place. -Luther Burbank

To find out more about me check out my website.... www.broomsbylittlejohn.com