Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: My bees left only to come back  (Read 4504 times)

Offline bearpaw

• New Bee
My bees left only to come back
« on: July 16, 2009, 02:47:19 am »
Last year I had a strange thing (well to me anyway) happen to my hive...

On a warm day most of my bees left the hive - like they were swarming. Then within the hour they were all back in the hive. This repeated about three times - about a week or two apart. On the third flight they all left not to return - I caught the swarm though.

Why did this happen - that is why did they leave and then come back? I'm a bit puzzled.

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
Re: My bees left only to come back
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 03:56:44 am »
Was you queens wings clipped.  I have read that if the queens wings are clipped or if she can not fly for whatever reason they will attempt to swarm only to return to the hive.  They also will return to the hive if the scouts do not find a suitable place but I'm sure the would not have given up in less than an hour.  My guess would be that they finally left with a virgin queen that could fly.

How long before you had eggs or brood after you boxes your swarm.  If you were paying close attention I'll bet it took awhile because she had to mate yet.
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline bearpaw

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 04:47:44 am »
My Queen was not clipped. I wasn't really paying too much attention to the swarm after I caught it so I can't say how long it was before the queen started laying. It is a strong colony now though - the same strength as the colony before the swarm.

I just thought it was a bit weird though and was thinking the same as you that the queen perhaps could not fly... but twice in a row?

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 09:00:41 am »
What other reason would they have to come back if not to get queenie? Not being sarcastic, that is the reason they came back, because they had no queen the first two times.

I've seen swarms leave to come back twice, a few different times because the queen was caged. These were swarms I had caught myself, freshly shook.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline bearpaw

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 05:48:33 pm »
Thanks JP... I always thought that the hive would only swarm when the queen was ready to go - ie. that the queen led the process. Obviously I was mistaken there. So it looks like the hive swarms and the queen was not able to join for some reason or she couldn't fly, so the bees came back.

Offline Tucker1

• House Bee
  • "The Morning Breaks, The Shadows Flee.....
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 07:24:53 pm »
I understand that before a swarm takes place, the workers don't feed to Queen to the same degree as normal. This is so that the Queen came fly. (Seems, she needs to lose a little weight before she's ready to fly). May be her Majesty wasn't quite in shape for the trip and needed to spend more time with Jenny Craig.

Regards,
Rich
He who would gather honey must bear the sting of the bees.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 11:13:20 pm »
Thanks JP... I always thought that the hive would only swarm when the queen was ready to go - ie. that the queen led the process. Obviously I was mistaken there. So it looks like the hive swarms and the queen was not able to join for some reason or she couldn't fly, so the bees came back.

Bearpaw, queens fly with the swarm, the bees lead the way. I've witnessed swarms coming out of hives, one such time, a very good amount of bees had exited and I sat there watching for the queen and she popped out and I caught her and caged her.

The rest of the swarm exited and I sat there watching them airborne, circling, to come back for her. They came back, then swarmed again about five minutes later, coming back the second time for good.

I kind of felt sorry for them but at the same time was happy to keep them.

...JP

My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 11:30:19 pm »
 :imsorry:

May be her Majesty wasn't quite in shape for the trip and needed to spend more time with Jenny Craig.

maybe i should prepare to swarm!

what is the process in the hive when they are throwing multiple swarms with virgin queens?  is it caused by the failure of a strong queen to emerge after the main swarm?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 11:45:52 pm »
My take with multiple afterswarms is that the colony had massive numbers that needed to be alleviated. But why so many swarms and what accounts for the actual number of swarms, who knows?

And why do some completely empty out but many wind up with some manageable number and start again?

...JP

Offline bearpaw

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 03:51:15 am »
Thanks for all the replies everyone. I suppose we'll never know all there is to know about the mysteries of swarming.

Wow my first day on the board and I've already learnt so much...Thanks :)