Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bucket of chicken eggs!!!  (Read 5269 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Bucket of chicken eggs!!!
« on: April 25, 2007, 09:46:21 am »
I am going to tell a little story about just how really cool it is to keep chickens and ducks.  Last night it was almost dark, I was putting away some empty plant packs that I had transplanted into the ground back into the greenhouse. I like to keep the yard tidy and don't like to leave the little black packs outside.  On the ledge outside the greenhouse I found a bucket of chicken and duck eggs that my sister had forgotten to take into the house to clean.

Bonus!!!  I was going to get some eggs from her in the morning cause I knew I might need them for breakfast.  So, now I have an ice cream pail full of eggs.  I will have to give them a clean before we use them, but what a find!!!  She is probably going to remember in a couple of days about the bucket of eggs.  I am going to trick her and make her think that some crows or something stole the entire bucket  :evil:, I have a little mischievious side to me.  Yum, fresh chicken and duck eggs comin' on.  Have a wonderful and beautiful day, good health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline bluegrass

• House Bee
Re: Bucket of chicken eggs!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 07:52:00 pm »
Im not fond of chickens, so we buy our eggs at the store. One of my first jobs was collecting eggs on an egg farm.....12000 eggs a day will make you not like chickens so much. The worst part was when the soup trucks came once a year and we had to load them. That is stinkin hot work.
Sugarbush Bees

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 07:03:47 am »
Awesome find Cindi!  I cant wait until we get our chickens.  Will be nice to have some fresh eggs again.  Buying the organic eggs from the grocery store is getting very expensive.

I remember when my family had chickens when I was a boy, finding stray eggs in the bushes from when the hens escaped.  You wouldn't know they were there until you stepped on them... discovering they were laid the previous year!!!  AHHHHH!!!!!  You cant get that smell out of your shoes!  lol

Sean
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 10:27:51 am »
Sean, awe, I know that smell.  About a week ago I was moving some of the composted turkey manure into a part of my garden that I had gotten around to manuring yet.  I was shovelling the manure and kind of throwing it with the shovel to spread it.  As I was looking down into the pile of crap (can't say it any nicer really) I saw an egg.  Looked like a chicken egg.  Curiosity reigned.  Thought I better pick it up and examine it.  Oh man, now that was a mistake that I won't repeat when I see an egg in the turkey poop.  The egg must have been very old, because when I picked it up, the skin shattered and the most disgusting stench in the world now was all over my hand.  Oh brother.  I washed and washed and washed this poor old hand.  What is in the rotten egg that allows the stink to linger on?  Eventually the smell wore off, but I don't think that any washing in this world would have helped.  The pure clean country air and putting my hand in more dirt to help was the only way to relieve this stinky stuff.

For those of you who have never smelled a rotten egg.  Don't bother.  It is not nice.  Like Sean said, you don't even want to get it on your shoe!!!!!  Have a wonderful day, stay away from rotten eggs, and have good health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline BlueEggFarmer

• House Bee
    • Blue Egg Farm
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 08:46:39 pm »
Ohhhhhh Ohhhh Ohhh rotten eggs, bad stuff, our hens love to hide eggs in the hay, and of course our geese love to lay eggs, sit on them for a month and then give up. Chicken eggs with out a doubt are bad. Last week I went behind the baler to pick up all the abandoned goose eggs on a 90+ degree day. I only put my bucket down for a minute outside the barn before all HLL broke lose. The goose eggs were exploding in the bucket with enough force to knock it over, goop and shells were flying everywhere. Got it in my hair, my clothes. I just left the bucket and ran for the shower. More disgusting that getting manure flung on you from a manure spreader. YuckO!!!!!!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2007, 10:37:00 am »
BlueEggFarmer.  Ha, ha, hahhhhh...Now that has got to be a funny story.  Explosions in the bucket, eeeeks!!!!!

I am getting to the point now where I prefer to eat duck eggs to chicken eggs any day.  And I love how the eggs (shells) do have that blue/green tinge to them.  Yum, yum.  Have the wonderful day, great life.  Cindi

Offline zopi

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 01:35:19 pm »
LOL! That musta stunk....

Blue egg farmer...you must be raising auruacanas...We just got 25 chicks in yesterday..seven of them are auraucana chicks<G>  cute little beggars..

we just moved out to the twigs again..bout ten miles from the michael vick house ,actually..anyway,
we just got started up with the poultry...turkeys and chickens..my daughters are having a blast!

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 12:23:40 am »
   I remember as a kid I used to gather rejected eggs from our ducks, geese and cluck hens.  I'ld put them under a heat lamp and watered twice a day until they started to hatch, then I'ld run them upstairs to the kitchen stove and hatch them out there.  Laying mash and ground meal was available to eat and water, of course.

I learned real quick to GENTLY shake the eggs and listen for rotten sloshing when one broke next to my ear.  I have never thrown up so violently since.  To this day I get a little rumble when I smell rotten eggs.  (I can sniff a bad catalytic converter from a county away LOL) :-D
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 02:09:07 am »
qa33010.  Now that must have been a hoot and a hollar!!!!!  Eeeeew, that smell, can't you smell that smell?  Remember that song of a few years ago?  Maybe in 1987 or so?  Gotta be a better way to find out about "sloshy" eggs and if they are good or not (heh, heh, heh).   :-D.

I haven't quite figured it out yet, but I think that the Roens have the bluish eggs, the Indian Runners a little more of a green tinge.  Between the Muscoveys, Indian Runner, Roans, and chickens, we have about 10 broodie girls having a great old time.  Soon we are going to have babies coming out our ears.  12 of our Muscovey drakes are going to the slaughter tomorrow.  Killed, cleaned, defeathered (is that the term?) and then into our freezer.  Much easier than doing it ourselves.  Mmmmm, the drakes dress out around 6 pounds I venture, and that meat is so good, and very little fat.  Last summer we did some of this dreadful task of duck murder and it is not worth my while in my eyes.  Eeeh gads!!!!!  What a horror show.  Not going there again.  I know there are more simple ways.   Have a wonderful day, beautiful life, and best of health.  Cindi

Offline zopi

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2007, 10:33:17 am »
qa33010.    Last summer we did some of this dreadful task of duck murder and it is not worth my while in my eyes.  Eeeh gads!!!!!  What a horror show.  Not going there again.  I know there are more simple ways.   Have a wonderful day, beautiful life, and best of health.  Cindi

I don't much like it either...but I don't trust much of anyone else to do it either...I do however remember to thank my feathered friends for their sacrifice....

maybe when i get a little more settled i'll try some muscovies....

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2007, 11:47:37 am »
Muscovey ducks.  Yes, the Joy of Cooking refers to them as the wonderful meat birds.  They are large.  I know.  The birds came back from the slaughter yesterday, my sister took 13 of them and we split them down the middle.  She took the slightly larger birds of the bunch and I took the slightly smaller, she has 6 kids to feed, I only have 4, so that is a given.  It is simply amazing how much bigger the drakes are than the hens.  We each got 2 hens each 4 drakes.  Can't wait for a roast duck dinner, done on the bbq.  Yeah!!!

The process of death to featherless was under 5 minutes per bird at the slaughter place.  The process was unique and was so short.  The time elapsed was about 30 minutes my sister said.  It was the driving there and back that took the time.  She told me all about it and it held me spell bound.  I remember how long it took us to do 4 birds last summer, hours and hours and hours.

We kept the down, which I put in our freezer until we can figure out what to do with it.  I think that a down tic would be a very cool thing to make, but firstly I must figure out how to clean the feathers in order to make a tic.  Hmm....I am sure that will come in all due time.

Wonderful day, beautiful life.  Cindi

anything