Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Growing Tobacco in the Pacific NW  (Read 20649 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Growing Tobacco in the Pacific NW
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2007, 10:19:39 am »
Cody, awe, I feel bad for ya.  :roll: I know what you mean about being the last post on a page, sorry you didn't get an answer to your question and had to ask again.  I am grateful that someone did reply to your post.  It does make me wonder why it is illegal to buy tobacco, but not illegal to grow it.  Weird eh?  Have a wonderful day, great life, great health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline nepenthes

• Field Bee
  • Little honey bee in flight
    • Photo Album
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2007, 05:52:39 pm »
LOL, its ok Cindi

I would think Sun Curing tobacco or the method used on the link I'm providing would be cheaper than Flu Curing. Plus giving it a little bit more distinctive flavor and its own unique taste.

http://www.boldweb.com/greenweb/nicoinfo.htm#nicocure

Time to find a friend who will let me grow my own tobacco, cause I hate the cooperate tobacco with all the added grossness, I just love puffin on Cyanide, and Embalming Fluid!  :-X It would be cheaper that way too  :-D

Good day!
"I have never wished to cater to the crowd, for what I know they do not approve, and what they approve I do not know." - Epicurus.

Offline bluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2007, 07:01:56 am »
Just a couple of plants will keep you in tobacco for a very long time.....The seedlings are going in the ground right now around here....I don't know where you would find any in your area though?
Sugarbush Bees

Offline nepenthes

• Field Bee
    • Photo Album
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2007, 09:49:37 pm »
Internet!  :-D
"I have never wished to cater to the crowd, for what I know they do not approve, and what they approve I do not know." - Epicurus.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2007, 08:45:09 am »
Cody,
I'm not an anti smoking patrol,but while you are still young,do the math on just what smokes cost per year and what else you could do with that money.It's not just the tobacco companies taking your money but uncle sam makes more on tobacco than I think phillip morris does! Thats reason enough for me not to do it!
I hate the idea of government profiting from nicotine addiction.Thats all it is.They are not concerned with your health or they would outlaw it instead of raping smokers with taxes.
Besides,being a smoker could cut your dating prospects in half! ;)
Any how,it would still be fun to grow.They grow it around here and dry it hanging it upside down in sheds with many openings for air circulation.These plants get pretty big.

Offline nepenthes

• Field Bee
    • Photo Album
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2007, 09:41:49 am »
Well thats why I grow my own tobacco, so I don't have to pay the overpriced taxes and things of the sorts.

Their was a Cigarette out here that was organic (as much as a cigarette could be), and didn't have any state taxes on it, but the new govaner banned it cause he couldn't tax it.

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2007, 12:39:36 pm »
there is a commercial organic cigarette...American Spirit I think it is. I'm sure it's much more expensive than marlboros.

Offline Greg Peck

• House Bee
    • GregsBees.com
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2007, 10:46:20 am »
Sean, About 10 years ago I did some research into growing my own tobacco. I bought some seeds and a book online and gave it a shot. I did not make out well because I kept forgetting to water the plants or left them outside during a storm. So I can not tell you that much about growing them. Other then water them and keep them safe :)

In my research I found some of these facts. (remember this info is about 10 years old)

In 1933 the US government included the “tobacco program” in the Agriculture Adjustment Act. The program limited the amount of tobacco that could be grown in the US. All farmers growing tobacco at the time were given quotas that they could either fill or they could rent there quota to bigger growers. The program also allowed for regular citizens to grow there own tobacco for personal use. The amount a citizen can grow was set at 1/10 an acre per year. In 1/10 acre you can grow 400-500 plants. A mature plant will yield about 5 oz. or cured tobacco.  So if  you planted the maximum amount of plants and they all produced 5 oz you would end up with 156 pounds of tobacco.  A pound of cured tobacco can make up to 400 cigarettes so you would be able to grow enough to make 62,400 cigarettes or 312 cartons.

It takes one pound of tobacco to make 400 cigarettes Commercial cigarette makers us 1 3/4 pounds of tobacco to make 1000 cigarettes. So you can see that there is about 3/4 pound of additives and fillers used in commercial cigarettes.  Check this link to see a list of additives added http://www.tobaccoseed.co.uk/additives.htm

I would have to say that if you were going to smoke/use tobacco in any way it would be much safer to grow your own, that way you know that there are no crazy additives added.
"Your fire arms are useless against them" - Chris Farley in Tommy Boy
Semper Fi
www.gregsbees.com www.secondfast.com/gregsworkshop/ www.secondfast.com/bees

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2007, 10:50:14 am »
Greg, wow, some very interesting information that you researched.  Do you smoke?  Were you wanting to grow it to turn the buck?  Curiosity never got this cat.  Have a wonderful day, best of life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Greg Peck

• House Bee
    • GregsBees.com
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2007, 10:57:10 am »
Hi Cindy, I smoke very occasionally, My wife smokes so once in a while I will have one with her. I do chew snuff. I used to smoke cigars a lot. I have cut back a lot on tobacco use just so I am not using it to excessively. I wanted to grow tobacco just for the fun of it and to see if I could make cigars and snuff. After doing some research on the additives that cigarette companies use I wanted to grow it to be safer in using tobacco.

I was thinking about planting some of those plants you had posted about a while ago. what were they called? The marijuana substitute plant.
"Your fire arms are useless against them" - Chris Farley in Tommy Boy
Semper Fi
www.gregsbees.com www.secondfast.com/gregsworkshop/ www.secondfast.com/bees

Offline nepenthes

• Field Bee
    • Photo Album
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2007, 12:28:25 pm »
I wonder if Bees go after tobacco flowers? Tobacco honey? Doesn't sound to appealing does it.

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2007, 02:17:44 pm »
No, doesn't sound appealing, but it will give you a great buzz.... :-D :roll:
Rick