Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Yellow-jacket killer  (Read 23248 times)

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
Re: Yellow-jacket killer
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2008, 06:52:33 pm »
i got fuses   :evil:
Johnny

Offline RickeyENC

• New Bee
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2008, 01:12:11 pm »

My son ran over their hole in the ground with the lawn mower, they got him twice. I found where they were and went the gas and fire route, was a hoot. While the fire raged those in the field backed up trying to figure out what happened to their happy home, I hit them with Hotshot.  :-D

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2008, 03:04:32 pm »
hee heehee!****  You chortlesnort**You know how to have fun!  Bet your son forgot all about the stings when the flames started! :-D
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline RayMarler

• Field Bee
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2009, 03:15:38 am »
Your yellow jacket trap actractant will be fine in a nectar flow, but might attract your bees as well in a nectar dearth, it does here for me.

Offline ArmucheeBee

• Field Bee
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2009, 08:32:21 am »
Well I used it during the dearth here in Fall, also drought.  The honey bees never entered it.  There were so many jackets, that they probably ran the HBees off. 
Stephen Stewart
2nd Grade Teacher

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich."  SpongeBob Squarepants

Offline Rabbitdog

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2009, 04:21:12 pm »
ATTENTION:
Do not light the fire if they're in the ground.  It's the fumes that kills 'em.  When you light the match, you get a great little boom and some cool colors but you may actually be saving the yellow jackets by burning off all of the fumes.  Rarely can you get gas on the actual nest of these critters.  However, if you simply pour one cup of gas in the hole and then cover the hole with a brick/rock/etc.  you will eliminate all of them in minutes.
I love fire too, but this ain't the time to use it. :shock:
"Born Po, Die Po" ........ just need to feed myself in between!

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2009, 04:42:33 pm »
So wait for a day or so, THEN pour more gas on & light?? :devilbanana:  That way you do both!!  It's so psychologically satisfying to burn stuff.  Well, at least for our family! :roll:  J

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2009, 04:55:22 pm »
I hate to tell you, but you firebugs are just letting the YJ's continue with their life. When you light the gas, it burns on top the ground and the nest is left safely below ground. If you will just pour a cup to a pint of gas into the hole and walk away, the fumes will sink in and kill everything in the nest. Fire=live bugs. No fire=dead bugs. Your choice.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2009, 05:39:08 pm »
Iddee, I meant AFTER letting the fumes work their magic for a day or so THEN can I blow em up???

Offline ArmucheeBee

• Field Bee
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2009, 07:27:31 pm »
What's up with this "cup of" stuff?  I'm talking a pool of gas somewhere underground!  I'm talking at least $3 in gas here!  I make a little gas trail and get about 20 feet away.  Can you say 'saturday night fun'.
Stephen Stewart
2nd Grade Teacher

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2009, 08:37:31 pm »
What's up with this "cup of" stuff?  I'm talking a pool of gas somewhere underground!  I'm talking at least $3 in gas here!  I make a little gas trail and get about 20 feet away.  Can you say 'saturday night fun'.

OOOhhh, I like the way you think!  J :-D

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2009, 08:44:21 pm »
>>>>Can you say 'saturday night fun'.<<<<

Can you say EPA. Can you say $10,000.00 fine?

:shock:   :roll:   :mrgreen:   :mrgreen:
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2009, 09:08:45 pm »
That's why you wait till dark so the smoke isn't seen! :evil: J

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2009, 01:04:46 am »
That's why you wait till dark so the smoke isn't seen! :evil: J

How yah going to hide the flash and bang?   :evil:
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline ArmucheeBee

• Field Bee
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2009, 08:59:36 am »
EPA?   Oh, spilled some, cleaned it up real good-nothing left!
Stephen Stewart
2nd Grade Teacher

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2009, 01:33:25 pm »
Living here in Buckley, they will just think it's someone trying to start their car or hook up electicity! Maybe even moonshiners! :roll: :evil:  J

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2009, 02:12:27 pm »
Fire!  Fire!  Heh heh heh!!  Jodi, you remind me of somebody who has a friend named "Beavis"!!! :-P :evil:

Isn't what you describe the same thing as a Malotov coktail?  Only in the ground instead of in a bottle?
Rick

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2009, 02:45:50 pm »
Fire!  Fire!  Heh heh heh!!  Jodi, you remind me of somebody who has a friend named "Beavis"!!! :-P :evil:

Isn't what you describe the same thing as a Malotov coktail?  Only in the ground instead of in a bottle?

Come to think of it...people have called me the "other name.."Hmmm :?  Yes, much like the cocktail but you don't take the chance of missing what you are tossing it at so any dummy can do it! :-D J

Offline Erich

• New Bee
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2009, 01:09:00 am »
I like seeing trapped yellowjackets! Doesn't bother me in the least. Sterling Int. is a company where I live that makes traps. They now have on the market one called "WHY"  Wasps, Hornets and yes, Yellowjackets. I have trouble with all. I will be getting a couple this spring, if spring ever arrives. Good job to those of you who find the time to make their own traps.   
Erich

Offline deadsnowmen

• New Bee
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2009, 10:28:01 pm »
My brother n law had a problem with yellow jackets,he lit the hole and ground beside them,went off like a little bomb,,he burned the yard around them and put it out with a hose pipe.2 days later he got a call,,the fire burned dry roots and ''slow'' burned under ground until it reached above ground,then burn above ground,he said the fire department put it out before it burned the neighbors building up :-D
I had a problem with yellow jackets and hornets near my hives,I made a bottle simaliar to the one pictured,,but I only used one bottle,,I like the idea of the doubled bottles..I cut 1/2 holes near the bend of the neck,filled it a third full with apple cider vinager,water,and banana peels,it worked ok,,caught hornets and yellow jackets,no honey bees to date.
When I found the nest I bought a bottle of amonia,at the dollar store for $1,,drilled a 1/4 inch hole in the lid,put a 1/4 inch tubing,3 feet long,,(a clear gas line tube)--I slid the tube in the entrance of the nest(s) and held the bottle upside down,20 seconds later they crawled out coughin and staggerin.. ;)
I also did it to hornets in a crack in a block wall,,the hornets kept attacking my bees.The gaurd hornet ran into the hive once the tube went in warning the others,by the time he and his buddies started out the hole,they were gasping for air.I stood agaist the wall holding a half gallon of ammonia up letting it slowly drain into the entrance.Works great,,been a year and hadnt seen any hornets return.