Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Anyone in NC or SC putting honey supers on yet?  (Read 2356 times)

Offline challenger

• House Bee
Anyone in NC or SC putting honey supers on yet?
« on: March 14, 2009, 11:05:17 pm »
I am in coastal/southern NC and there seems to be a lot blooming so I'm wondering if supering a couple of hives is OK to do now. I am using a couple of open feeders and the bees are on them but way more are foraging elsewhere as I can tell from watching them enter & exit the hives.
It seems very early to be seeing a real flow and I don't want to stop feeding if it is just a small flow going on.
Beekeeping for Chordoma. All proceeds donated to cancer research

Offline doak

• Super Bee
Re: Anyone in NC or SC putting honey supers on yet?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 12:11:37 am »
I am in central Ga. and I don't attempt to put any supers on till the Tulip Poplar start to bloom.10 to 20 of April. If you have two deep boxes full of bees and brood and have some nectar plants in bloom you may try it. Although I wouldn't rush it.
If there is any palmetto where your at, but I don't know when they bloom.
Not time for the Huckleberries /blue berries yet, is it?
doak

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 08:32:19 am »
Read Walt Wrights Manuscripts ---- It ain't gonna hurt nothing!!! Especially on a strong hive.
John 3:16

Offline challenger

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 10:47:46 am »
Read Walt Wrights Manuscripts ---- It ain't gonna hurt nothing!!! Especially on a strong hive.
I'm not familiar-w-Walt Wrights Manuscripts. Can you tell me anything about these?

I have gallberry that has bud but no open flowers. I also back up to 10 acres of dense wetlands and I worked my way back there yesterday. It is not really wet at all but is designated as wetlands because large rains will make it a conduit for runoff to the waterway. I saw a lot of yellow flowers on the ground. They look like forsythia but can't be because the foliage is way too dense. I don't think it was honeysuckle because it was bright yellow and a bit smaller.I'm going to hold off for now and check the frames of empty comb I placed in a couple of the deeps I placed on the donor hives I did splits from.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 11:13:21 am »

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 08:44:56 am »
Sounds a little like Yellow Jasmine. Is it a vine or ground cover?
John 3:16

Offline challenger

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 12:23:17 pm »
It is not Jasmine as best as I can tell. It has no aroma. It is a vine-very high climbing in this case but I saw another tree-w-this same flower/vine that was at arms length and even down on the ground. I believe it is a Yellow Trumpet vine/creeper "Flava".
I could not find out if this is a decent nectar source but if it is then the bees here have all they need. It is blooming everywhere. I also have many neighbors-w-Rosemary in bloom and saw some bees on a large bush plus the Gallberry as I mentioned. The forsythia is blooming full now and the ornamental pear trees as well. I suspect the hybrid plants are not nectar sources correct?

anything