Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Wanta bee keeper  (Read 2271 times)

Offline tessiesmom

• Brood
Wanta bee keeper
« on: February 26, 2013, 02:32:27 pm »
I have recently moved to some land in South Carolina.  We have established a small garden with 12 raised beds and a small orchard with 21 fruit trees.  My father kept bees all his life.  When we moved from Arizona to California his first priority was to get bee hives going.  I would like to honor this tradition and establish some bees here.  My father died 20 years ago and there is no one I can really call on for advice.  I am hoping that this forum will help me get a start.  What are the best topics for me to read to get me started.  I need to know when is the best time to start out and what I need.  I have a book called the Bee Keepers Bible that has bee very helpful
Thanks

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
Re: Wanta bee keeper
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 02:50:35 pm »
Welcome and you have come to a good place.   If you can make friends with the search engine on this site, everything you need to know about has been cussed and discussed to distraction.   

The first thing I would do is share your city or county and your state.  This will allow people most knowledgeable of the conditions you face to advise you.

One of the gentlefolks here has written a book that will answer many of your questions.  It can be purchased at amazon or you can just go to Michael Bush's web site and read it all free and the author is a nice guy who will answer your questions on this forum.  That is a real bargain.   I envy you your fine orchard and space to garden.  A wonderful place needful of bees.   

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 03:11:19 pm »
Welcome and you have come to a good place.   If you can make friends with the search engine on this site, everything you need to know about has been cussed and discussed to distraction.  

The first thing I would do is share your city or county and your state.  This will allow people most knowledgeable of the conditions you face to advise you. 

One of the gentlefolks here has written a book that will answer many of your questions.  It can be purchased at amazon or you can just go to Michael Bush's web site and read it all free and the author is a nice guy who will answer your questions on this forum.  That is a real bargain.   I envy you your fine orchard and space to garden.  A wonderful place needful of bees.  

X:X X:X X:X

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 05:08:38 pm »
+ look for other beekeepers in your area.  clubs, etc.  you'll probably find some of your neighbors on this site. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 05:09:34 pm »
Welcome to the forum.

Offline fshrgy99

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 05:10:57 pm »
Hello Mom,
     I have learned a lot in the last year (and still know nothing ... or there abouts). The recent discovery of this forum has 'reinvigorated' my learning curve. This site and other internet sources have been invaluable to me in both teaching me about Bees and about myself (my misconceptions). I have also been blessed to have made the aquaintance of an experience beekeep locally who operates a supply business. He has been a valuable resource as I learn. Hopefully you can find the same here on the forum or locally in South Carolina.
Here are links to 2 of my favorite youtubes on beekeeping. You'll find the author of one of these vids right here on Beemaster!
Welcome to the forum. May I say I envy you your 'garden of Eden'?
Dennis
Beekeeping by Rotation System
Huge Honey Bee Swarm On Vehicle      

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 08:39:22 pm »
Welcome,

I am new here also. While I might not be able to give much advice maybe my questions will help you.

Good luck.
"Give it All You've Got"
"Never give up. Never surrender."

Offline JPinMO

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 03:14:57 am »
tessiesmom, look up the South Carolina Beekeepers Association website, check the Local Associations page. And/or, check with your local Extension Office, they probably know if there is a beekeeping club(s) in your area.

There are tons of books on beekeeping, and more websites and blogs than you can shake a stick at.
The Club I belong to uses "Beekeeping for Dummies." It's easy to read, written for the beginner backyard beekeeper. I'm sure the folks here have read other books and can give you more advice.

If you are on Pinterest, try searching "Apiary" or "beekeeping" (tip: don't search "bees" or you'll get a bazillion pictures of bumblebees, jewelry, clothes, cakes, crafts, etc)

Good luck!

"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters
cannot be trusted in large ones either."  Albert Einstein

anything