Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: G'Day from Australia  (Read 2367 times)

Offline Koala John

• House Bee
G'Day from Australia
« on: May 19, 2008, 01:27:37 am »
Hi,
I've already made a few posts without introducing myself, I'm sorry about that. Here's a bit about me and my experience with bees....

I live in Melbourne, in the South East of Australia, a city of nearly 4 million people. My father and grandfather were incredibly passionate about bees, both being serious sideliners at one time or another in the 50's and 60's. I remember when I was 7 my grandfather showing me a huge galvanised iron tank of honey he had collected, that seemed to almost reach the sky! I always took a passing interest in bees, but never really rolled up my sleeves and kept a hive. A few simple things stuck (funny stories about bees crawling and stinging at night etc!), but basically I'm a raw beginner. Last year my Dad died, leaving behind 7 hives. The family was going to give them away, so I decided to take them over. It's like my father and grandfather are there with me sometimes when I'm with my bees now, they are a great reminder of my ancestors and how passionate they were about life, bees, and everything they did.

Anyway, the bees are an hour and a half drive away and it's been hard work trying to stay in front of them and learn the same time. That's why this forum has been such a great help to me, I've been able to ask others for advice and then go put it to use. I've become completely hooked now and spend way too much time reading this forum, re-reading the various books I've accumulated, and day dreaming about bees!

I've grown the hives from 7 to 10, and I recently devised a way of having some hives down here in my home, which is only a mile or so from the city centre. It's taken a lot of hard work to build a two story platform to put them on, but last night I finished it and moved 3 hives down here. I'm looking forward to posting some photos of the whole thing, it's the first thing many visitors to our house will see and is quite unusual to say the least!

Anyway, thanks again to all for your help and I am looking forward to one day having learnt enough to be able to help others too.

Best regards,
John.

Offline suprstakr

• House Bee
Re: G'Day from Australia
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 08:56:46 am »
Wellcome  :-D ... Looks like we are getting a nice crew from down under . Bee nice to hear about summer when it's winter here .

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 11:26:21 am »
John, oh, nice introduction.  You have that feeling of your Dad and your Grandfather watching you, they are....they are bringing back memories for you, of your childhood and the bees.  You will be surprised at what these two great men did for you, when you were so young, information and memories will keep coming to you through them.  Sorry about the loss of your Father, so many years ago.

So cool that you have built that platform for the bees at your place.  Now wouldn't it be nice if you could bring all the colonies home, hee, hee.  It must be hard to drive that distance to work the bees, I know many of our forum friends don't keep the bees near them either, that must be a hardship.  But keep on keepin' on.

You will tell us of your experiences, I know that, that is a learning tool for us too, we are all learning all the time, but in just different ways.  Good luck, remember that your Father and Grandfather are by your side, they will help you with your lifetime with the bees, and they are smiling.....beautiful and most wonderful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 01:08:58 pm »
Welcome John!
Cindi's post about your Father & Grandfather struck a chord in me today for some reason.  My grandfather had a huge rose garden, he loved his roses!  Dad had roses too, though not as many as Pop Pop, they don't grow as well here as in CA. too damp.  Now I have a small rose garden, & Dad's ashes are under a rose I bought just for the occasion, it is Outta the Blue.  The name reminds me of his stories of crop dusting & flying in WW2, his stories of his aircraft carrier getting hit..ANYWAYS back to topic, I feel like they are with me every time I work the roses, circle of life type of thing.  We put Moms ashes in Lake Roosevelt so I think of her when it rains.  Glad to have you aboard, those platforms sound great!  Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Koala John

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 10:55:11 pm »
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome - I love this place!
Poka-bee, thanks for your touching words too, your Dad sounded like quite a man.
Best regards,
John.

Offline derrick1p1

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 03:04:05 pm »
Welcome to the forum and to the world of beekeeping (although sounds as though you never truly left it).  Everyday I find it amazing how an insect can have such an impact on one's life.  Just proves how wonderful they are so many ways.

Best,

Derrick
I won't let grass grow under my feet, there will be plenty of time to push up daisies.

anything