Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: recipe for cabbage worm repellent?  (Read 6785 times)

Offline stella

• House Bee
recipe for cabbage worm repellent?
« on: June 18, 2012, 09:38:41 pm »

I read somewhere to mix 1 cup of flour with a tablespoon of cayenne pepper and dust the veggies with it to repel cabbage worms and the hot pepper is to repel other insects. Anyone ever try this or have a different recipe? I dont use chemicals.

Something is chewing on my pole bean leaves, pepper plant leaves and green bush bean leaves. The garden is fenced in.

Arg!!
“The hum of bees is the voice of the garden.” — Elizabeth Lawrence

Offline Okytransplant

• New Bee
  • Living the Good Life
Re: recipe for cabbage worm repellent?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 02:22:28 am »
I heard it need to be rye flour. I personally plant geraniums with my cabbages and they dislike the smell of it. I would add I good dose of DE will cut the little buggers up.

I'm with you when it comes to pest. This warm weather has given everything a jump this year.

Stacy

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 07:22:42 am »
why not bt. as its is for organic gardens and targets cabage type worms
to bee or not to bee

Offline bash70

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 10:59:03 am »
capsaicin will get rid of the worms and actually protect against most insects.   I'd post a link, but since I'm new here that option is disabled for me.  

Here's a recipe copy/pasted from the National Geographic green living website.   

organic pepper spray can be purchased at nurseries and garden centers or made at home by pulverizing two hot peppers in a blender with a few cups of water. Use chili, habanero or any hot pepper variety in the Capsicum genus. Pour the pulverized pepper into a gallon container and add enough water to make a gallon of concentrate. Allow it to stand at least 24 hours, and then run it through a sieve and add 1/4 cup of concentrate to a gallon of water and load into a sprayer. Be sure to dilute fully or the mixture may "burn" your plants. Add 2 tablespoons of natural, biodegradable dish soap like castile soap to help the mixture adhere to the plants. Wear gloves when preparing and using the spray. Cover plants thoroughly with the spray. Repeat if needed.
-Bash

anything