Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee eating bird problem  (Read 4346 times)

Offline BeeDog

• House Bee
Bee eating bird problem
« on: March 14, 2014, 10:19:35 am »
I have a serious problem with bee eating birds (blue and green throat bee eater birds). Except by shooting them which is illegal in our country, what are the ways I can save my bees from these bee eating birds. Hope anyone can help me.
It is highly recommend that split be done with only strong healthy hives that have at least two Brood Chambers with Brood in all stages of development. Frames with capped Brood should be split evenly between the two hives.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Bee eating bird problem
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 12:33:31 pm »
let me know if you find a solution.  i have a problem with swallows.  they stay for days and eat.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline HomeSteadDreamer

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 12:48:38 pm »
Ever try a cat?  I have few that will come and pick up the dead ones in front of the hive but my cat keeps chasing them off.

Offline Edgy

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 06:24:48 pm »
The cat idea is a good one!  The garden catalogs I receive sell realistic plastic owls and snakes that you would put near your hives to ward off birds.  Never tried it myself but it would be worth a try.

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 07:23:35 pm »
I looked it up, and there are a number of very poisonous tree snakes in the Philippines.  Most are green, but one has wide black stripes with narrow yellow stripes.  The generally seem to be pit vipers.  Bet that fake snakes painted like that would totally freak out your bee eating birds.  Worth a try anyway.  Move them around every few days.

JC
"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 08:17:44 pm »
I used to have that problem, found a life like looking owl and put it up about six feet and close to my hives.  Have had almost no problem since.

Joe

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 11:04:21 pm »
We use to take fishing line and string it through our garden to keep birds out. Seems they can't see the clear nylon?/plastic/ fishing line and they'll fly right into it. Freaks them out and they stay away.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Spear

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 02:32:08 am »
The owl idea is great and you can also put a bee friendly net around your hives to keep the birds at a distance. Also try hanging old CDs or mirror shards in a tree, the reflections bother the birds and they stay away.

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2014, 07:28:42 am »
Aw C'mon….birds gotta eat too  :-D…. 

We have Blue Birds, Wax Wings and Fly Catchers…all taking turns hanging out and munching happily in the bee yard all summer long……All three are expert 'swoop' navigators but the wax wings are the only ones I've ever seen catch a bee, land on a branch and strike its beak w/ bee against it before swallowing…. 8-)

Birds don't eat 'that' much IMO……not like a BEAR will... :laugh:    ….I shouldn't laugh because Bear will be waking any time now……must prepare….shotgun is ready….garbage in the garage…..ready as I'll ever beeeeee.   :)
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2014, 08:26:51 am »
I'm with you T. I do not think the birds are taking that many. They and the dragonflies stay up in the bees fly and try to catch them. The bees are flying at top speed through it. If the birds were catching that many the bees would stop flying. The biggest problem is if you have new queens making there matting flights. A queen rearer in GA had to move his operation because the dragonfly's were eating too many virgin queens.
During the summer, you can look up through my flyway and see the dragonflies darting back and forth trying to catch the bees. You can tell they miss a lot because when they catch a bee they leave and go to eat it. At the farm, I saw a flycatcher on the apiary fence with a bee in its mouth. I'll bet they can only eat just one.  :)  The bees are almost as big as the flycatcher.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2014, 08:54:01 am »
Oh my - I had forgotten all about dragonflies, not having seen one since last September   :shock:..….they do get their share that's for sure.. :) but don't generally hang out for the day as some birds will. 

All things considered…we enjoy the 'birds and bees' (and dragonflies) equally and don't begrudge them over snacking on our bees .. :laugh:  They are every bit as interesting as our bees.
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2014, 09:21:59 am »
I had problems with Jays, and by using the owl trick it stopped that. 
Jack of all trades
Master of none.

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2014, 10:39:08 am »
Too bad they can't be redirected to dine on SHB!!  :laugh:
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2014, 11:54:49 am »
Bee eaters can put a big hole in your bee population, especially when they start to bring all their friends along.  I've seen them near hives and they have not worried the bees, maybe because there was alternative tucker around.  I believe they catch flying bees, so a net won't help.  Hopefully you can discourage the ones you have before 40 or so friends and family join them.  I'm not sure if gas guns work on them but that's another suggestion to try.  I doubt cats will get up in the trees to chase the bee eater.

Let us know how you go.

Lone

anything