Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Insects hanging around Eucalyptus flowes in Victoria  (Read 3855 times)

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
Insects hanging around Eucalyptus flowes in Victoria
« on: November 27, 2012, 09:44:08 pm »
Hi Folks,

I've seen quite a few, what look like, Sugar Gums in flower - along with that I'm seeing huge swarms of insects hanging off the flowers too - I'm assuming they're pinching the liquid gold! does anyone know what they are? and, other than pinching the nectar, do they stop the bees from foraging on that nectar source?

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
Re: Insects hanging around Eucalyptus flowes in Victoria
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 10:56:15 pm »
G'day Oz,

Have you got a photo or description of the ones you're seeing? I'm seeing a fair few of these around lately Green Soldier Beetles but they seem to be more beneficial than harmful.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 12:26:57 am »
They're the ones! I wonder if they're consuming the nectar from the flowers if there isn't enough aphids etc for them to feed on

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 09:18:12 pm »
I dunno, the article mentions sugar solutions and honeydew but not nectar. You would have to wonder though. Perhaps you need to spend a half hour or an hour observing.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 01:02:51 am »
Not in this heat ;)

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 01:58:01 am »
Yeah, I got home early thinking I might open up the hives; that is, until I turned on the AC and grabbed a beer.

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 10:32:50 pm »
G'day Oz,

There is an article in the Sunday Herald Sun today 13/01/13 that talks about these being in plague proportions this year and says that the adults DO eat pollen and nectar. That might explain why I'm having such a lean year this year; nearly mid summer and I haven't had a harvest yet. Another bloke I know with hives a couple of K's away says it's the worst year he can remember around here.

Offline rawfind

• House Bee
    • My Website
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 02:06:13 pm »
G'day Oz,

There is an article in the Sunday Herald Sun today 13/01/13 that talks about these being in plague proportions this year and says that the adults DO eat pollen and nectar. That might explain why I'm having such a lean year this year; nearly mid summer and I haven't had a harvest yet. Another bloke I know with hives a couple of K's away says it's the worst year he can remember around here.

were bad around here too they tend to clump  up on the ground and on branches i made up some pyrethum spray and killed thousands, think there were some small amount of bee casualty's but not many i was careful not to spray the bees if i could help it, the bugs drop immediately so i was able to hose down the branches and get rid of residue quickly.  its just a small drop in the ocean but i think it helped a bit around here theres not so many now.

Offline wannabeehobbit

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 04:21:58 pm »
We live in NE Victoria and have an invasion of Plague Soldier Beetles, they have covered our gum trees and they seem to have driven the bees away :(

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 11:29:50 pm »
Yep, that seems to be the scenario state wide! it seems that all insects are under pressure for food resources

anything