Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Be afraid, be very afraid...  (Read 11959 times)

Offline Buzzen

• House Bee
Re: Be afraid, be very afraid...
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2010, 10:07:22 pm »
I don't know much,  but that is one of the dumbest  *^&#@#+!*#*  I've seen on tape!

Offline bulldog

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2010, 11:25:04 pm »
highlandsfreedom, i guess your bees don't watch the news   :)
Confucius say "He who stand on toilet is high on pot"

Offline bulldog

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2010, 11:26:52 pm »
actually as a brand new beekeeper and a carpenter that made me cringe for two reasons.
Confucius say "He who stand on toilet is high on pot"

Offline beee farmer

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2010, 12:48:17 am »
"Gotcha"  what an appropriate company name!   :roll:
"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do"  Benjamin Franklin

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2010, 10:59:12 am »
OMG!!!!!   The damage that idiot was doing!!!!!!  On so many levels.....  When I think of JB's calm, clean cutout videos -  wouldn't it be great to post one of his and this one side by side on u-tube?  Title it what to do, and what not to do, with bees.

JC
"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2010, 12:08:15 pm »
Was it just me, or does he look like he's playing up a little for the camera? That DH is a total #^&%3r!

Offline vmmartin

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2010, 02:52:59 pm »
Oh, he definitely loves the camera attention. I wonder if he keeps his cape underneath his suit. The ignorance of some people never ceases to amaze me. I also am baffled by his uncanny ability to so precisely declare the honey and bee levels.

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
  • Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...
    • TangleWood Apiary
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2010, 08:41:32 am »
How come they didn't call the JP Swarm King Hotline?????????????????

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2010, 02:19:11 pm »
1-800-send plane ticket and cash.

Can you take bees on a plane?  Maybe a movie in that.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2010, 04:55:57 pm »
I can see it now "I'm sick and tired of these Mother F***ing bees on this Mothe F***ing plane!"

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline AliciaH

• Field Bee
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2010, 09:26:00 pm »
Okay, the pest guy was just a jerk, but my favorite line is from the woman at the beginning.....

"The bees are getting more aggressive and BIG."   :bee: 

I know it wasn't what she meant but found myself a bit disappointed when the more big bee never showed up!

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
  • Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
    • Georgia Wildlife Services, Inc
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2010, 02:31:49 pm »
Well, all I can say is welcome to my world.

As this is my first post let me introduce myself. David here, owner and operator of Georgia Wildlife Services, Inc and a professional NWCO (nuisance wildlife control operator) for the last five years. I am also a former beek (4 years) and soon to be current beek. Having done hundreds of cutouts in the past and having trained several NWCOs in how to deal with bees I find that video quite disturbing on so many levels. The sad truth is that is the very real future of the industry if we (the NWCOs) do not step up to the plate and require a et of standards. Currently in most jurisdictions wildlife control is either totally or lightly regulated and/or under the control of the pest control industry. The poor honeybees because they are not technically wildlife and are technically insects are at the mercy of the PCOs. The only way I am able to continue to offer services for their removal is the simple fact is that there is not a single category they fit into and as such are totally unregulated outside of commercial apiary laws.
I see this type of service all to often not only in dealing with honeybees but with all species of wildlife. Just recently my own state removed the last remianing level of protection for bats at a time the bats, particularly the large group of myotis species, are facing an extinction event with White Nosed Syndrome. I don't know whether to laugh or cry most days.
Also, some things I noted from the video. The homeowner first went to the city looking for city services. This is all to common as a lare percentage of our population have been bred to expect governmental service for all their ills. I am more than willing to bet this person later contacted a reputable firm or two and refused service when it was expalined fees were involved and that ultimately hired these yahoos for the lowball price. As an industry we can prevent that but what we can do through self policing and tightened regulation is to try to weed out the yahoos. For that reason I am a professional member of NWCOA and the state rep for NWCOA for Georgia and am active within the industry. I would like to invite anyone interested to consider joining the only industry group actively promoting a higher standard, the National Wildlife Control Operators Association.
Georgia Wildlife Services,Inc
Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
Atlanta (678) 572-8269 Macon (478) 227-4497
www.atlantawildliferemoval.net
georgiawildlifeservices@gmail.com

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2010, 06:11:33 pm »
David, do you remove bees at the present time? I looked on you web site and not a single mention of honeybees.
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2010, 06:52:38 pm »
Yes I do and have for as long as I've been a NWCO. That site does not mention it as it is geared for other species and is basically a main portal site. This is my first year of operation as a stand alone entity and the web marketing is evolving. I hope to have a bee/stinging insect specific site up in the next month or so. God, I hate that side of business but it is a must in today's world.
Currently my main marketing for stinging insects and honeybees is word of mouth from customers of past years. Right now my sites are geared to SEO and as they mature I hope to turn on some info sites as well.

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2010, 09:33:06 am »
Dave Mc
 Have you looked and the removal/clean out videos and the Iddee trap out method
Just curious as too how you do your removals
these guys here show some nice tec. How too's

Tommyt
"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2010, 04:13:04 pm »
Tommyt, I've been perusing this site for awhile now and those are some great videos. I am glad to see live cutouts and trap outs going "mainstream". I did my first trap out nearly 25 years ago while in high  school and participated in several beetree cutouts with by beekeeping mentor back then.
As to how, I am ashamed to say that for the last few years as an employee of another I did the hose them technique. Something that I am not proud of but I did manage to get the swarms protected and when I left it was ironclad policy that swarms must come out alive and be turned over to a beek at best and if not released promptly to make their own salvation. The equipment and time factor prevented the other outfit from doing live cutouts besides as the sole beek in the outfit it was all I could do to train (I was a manager) a tech to be comfortable enough to even approach the bees.
It is my hope that by "leading the way" as it is within my industry in this state that I can shame the other guys into changing the method.

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2010, 01:37:49 am »
David,
    I sadly agree with everything you say.  I live in Iowa, where the solution to every wildlife problem seems to be "kill it".  A badger wandered into town by the church where the Boy Scouts meet, so being good scouts they called The DNR.  DNR said "call Animal Control".  Animal Control said "We're busy, kill it."  Called a local supposed "rescue" association.  They said to describe situation, and when the poor beasts behaviour was described (Typical badger defensive behaviour from what my son described) they said "kill it".  Eventually the police showed up and, you guessed it, killed it.
    Bees get the same treatment if people call "the authorities".  People who I have done cut outs for have told me that they get advice to call exterminators, and only called me because they didn't want to kill the bees and checked the internet first.  One local ag college tells people that feral bees are "worthless"!

JC
"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2010, 08:27:40 am »
Worthless???? IMO, the ferals (true ferals not recent escaped swarms) are going to be the salvation of beekeeping if we can just give them the chance (quit dumping toxins in the enviroment). It is all about natures way of adapting and maybe we should drop the term FERAL and go to another term that I think better describes what we are seeing out there LANDRACE. My understanding of the term landrace as it is applied to other species (Cracker/Pineywoods/Longhorn/Criollo cattle, Gulf Coast sheep, Guinea and Mulefoot hogs, Cracker/Mustang horses) that started as manmade breeds/strains adapted for man's use in one setting but once allowed to return to a wild or semi feral state the strain selects/adapts to that region or enviroment until a stasis of type is established.
I honestly believe that is exactly what I am seeing in the feral colonies. They are descendants of the original A.m.m. stock brought in with a strong admixture (to the point of dominance???) of A.m.l. since the complete move to italians with addition from all the other subspecies they have come into contact with. I read one study where many of our ferals show MtDNA of the lamarkii subspecies and I do not think those were ever used to any degree in commercial beekeeping. Which makes me wonder why that is. Could it be that over the centuries the ferals took from each new subspecies those genes that were "good" (added to survivability) and discarded those that weren't (detrimental to survivability).
Isn't that what we really want from any domesticated species. It must first be able to live with very little input from us.

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2010, 08:40:51 am »
greenbtree, the thing that really hacks me off is the so called "national" bee removal companies, I can think of three off the top of my head, that advertise on the web. These outfits are nothing more than clearing houses where they take the call collect the credit card information and then farm the work out to whatever local lowballer is willing to do the work. Guess what happens to the bees and the customer's home when the lowballer shows up. I would guess that the video that started this thread was such a case.
So who does the homeowner deal with when the cutout goes south? The local sub (lowballer) or the guy behind the computer screen a 1000 miles away? Not a good situation no matter how you cut it. The same thing is happening in the nuisance wildlife field. We have a guy out in Utah that claims to be a national outfit but doesn't even own a trap.
I am currently lobbying for tighter restrictions in my home state and one item I want is only in state operators are allowed to do work in state. Maybe this is something beekeepers associations should look at.

Offline tecumseh

• House Bee
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2010, 09:18:18 am »
first off....the media is well compensated to 'rev up' any story.  that is just what they do.

for all the "I could have done better crowd".... come to Houston, Texas put on a bee suit and see just how exacting you can be.  if you last 15 minutes I would be very much surprised.

the state bee inspector here tell me that a set of state qualification and permit is in the works for removing honeybees in Texas.  at one time (not certain if this still applies) removal by anyone without a pest control permit was illegal.  it seems the anti government folks here thinks regulation is a good idea in this circumstance? 

I am 'the panther that passes in the night'... tecumseh.