Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Transporting a hive of bees....  (Read 6016 times)

Offline bilder

• New Bee
Transporting a hive of bees....
« on: January 22, 2013, 03:59:14 pm »
Last Thanksgiving, my brother in law said I could have an old hive of his.  He said his bees ran off a year or two ago and would be glad if someone made use of it.  It is about a 4.5 hour drive at a house he is renting to his daughter.

Well I finally got up here to look at the hive....and it is full of bees!  So much for empty.   I was just going to put each section into a bag and stick it in the trunk of the rental car I have, but now with the bees I am not sure how to do this. 

New beek.....hive full of bees.....4.5 hour drive....rental car....January....

Can it be done or will I end up killing the bees, wrecking the car, or some other horrible fate I dare not consider.

Hive is located in Sherwood Oregon, I live near Medford. 
Wisdom is the comb that life gives you after you have lost your hair.

Moots

Re: Transporting a hive of bees....
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 04:16:29 pm »
I'm a newbie, so there may be others with better advice, but I'll take a shot.

• Wait until sundown to block the entrance, ensuring all the foragers are home for the night. (depending on current temps, this may not be an issue for you).
  • Block the entrance with either a piece of wood or staple some hardware cloth in place.
  • Get a good ratchet strap and strap everything together...Bottom board, hive boxes, and cover. (Make sure there's no escape route)
  • Place in vehicle and drive home. (I've read that your frames should be parallel to the road to reduce the chance of rolling and killing bees, I've had others tell me it really doesn't matter).
Good Luck!  :)

Offline rgy

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 04:17:19 pm »
leave them till its warm enough to transport.  close the hive up at night strap the hive boxes all together and load onto trailer or put in truck bed.  horrible fate, dead bees and wrecked rental is what I see today.  Moving them is quite easy with with all 7 "p's" involved.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 04:17:37 pm »
If it's cold out just close the entrance, throw them into the trunk leaving it open so it doesn't warm too much and drive.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline bilder

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 04:21:11 pm »
Outside high temps are in the 35-45 degree range for the next few days.  

I would like to have this hive, but do not want to harm the bees.  It is also full of unharvested honey as my bro-in-law thought the bees were all gone.  This hive has had no maintenance for over a year.

Offline Polish_beekeeper

• New Bee
    • www.gorskie-miody.pl
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 04:21:42 pm »
Last Thanksgiving, my brother in law said I could have an old hive of his.  He said his bees ran off a year or two ago and would be glad if someone made use of it.  It is about a 4.5 hour drive at a house he is renting to his daughter.

Well I finally got up here to look at the hive....and it is full of bees!  So much for empty.   I was just going to put each section into a bag and stick it in the trunk of the rental car I have, but now with the bees I am not sure how to do this. 

New beek.....hive full of bees.....4.5 hour drive....rental car....January....

Can it be done or will I end up killing the bees, wrecking the car, or some other horrible fate I dare not consider.

Hive is located in Sherwood Oregon, I live near Medford. 

At first temperature must be higher than 10-12 C. Best wait until spring. Bees after transit must fly a little and calm down, therefore it must be warm. You must start early in the morning, when all bees are in the hive. To the hive hole insert the sponge. Which bottoms is in a hive? Grid or the board? If the grid it will be fine.

Offline bilder

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 07:15:09 pm »
Looking like the only way to get this in the trunk would be to take it apart or lay it on its side. 
Could I at least take a few frames of honey from the top?  Would take away the sting of having to leave it behind.

Moots

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 07:36:39 pm »
Looking like the only way to get this in the trunk would be to take it apart or lay it on its side. 
Could I at least take a few frames of honey from the top?  Would take away the sting of having to leave it behind.

Again, I'm probably out my league here, but possibly you could use a fume board to push the bees into the lower boxes/box and then cover and seal that up...then transport the honey supers however you would like.

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 07:40:23 pm »
I was wondering how you were going to close the truck lid. I wouldn't take any honey that have set up for their winter feed either. Sounds to me that leaving till spring would be the best option for you and the bees.

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 08:57:14 pm »
Rent a van.

Best would bee to do it in the spring

If all else fails just divide the boxes so they fit in the trunk, make sure they are ventilated , mosquito netting and duct tape.

They will bee  :evil: very unhappy  :evil: so wear a bee suit.

Put the hive back together and hope for the best.

Not a good idea, but if you don't have a choice.

mvh edward  :-P

Offline rgy

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 10:27:58 pm »
I would leave them and come back in the spring, they are a going hive. 

But you have 9 hours in already and another 9 to come back,  plus rental car ext.

wooden ware with a going hive 300 bucks on the high side?
nuc in the spring 125? 
wooden ware alone 150? 

your cost for 18 hours? 

maybe just take them and hope for the best.

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 10:37:27 pm »
First off. contact your local bee club. talk to them. get with one of the group as a mentor. ask if some one has a truck. offer to pay the fuel and 50 bucks and the day to help you set it back up at your house and give you a lesson. It will be the best money you every spent to get a first hand lesson on how to handle bees and what to look for in your new hive.

John

Offline lazy shooter

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 10:27:29 am »
One thing for sure, it's a dang good hive of bees.  The wooden ware plus a good hive of bees is worth some effort.  Read the above posts and work accordingly.  It sure might be worth another trip in a van to pick them up.

Offline bilder

• New Bee
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2013, 11:21:59 am »
Talked to my bro-in-law last night and he says the hive was empty last time he looked at it back in 2011.  Sounds like we have a feral hive that took up shop last year. 

I am going to come back later this spring with a truck or van and scoop them up.

Moots

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 11:42:11 am »
Sounds like a plan....Keep us posted!  :)

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Moots

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2013, 04:12:11 pm »
http://www.bushfarms.com/beesmoving.htm#twomiles

Michael,
Thanks for posting that link...
I caught Bee Fever a few months ago and have watched and read more bee related material on the web  than most can imagine.  Early on in that process I stumbled across some of your stuff and appreciated your philosohy which shaped some of the decisions I've made on how I wanted to move forward and approach being a beekeeper.

Somewhere along the way I read about the 2 feet or 2 mile rule.  That's been one of those problems in the back of my mind causing me to lose sleep.  Just got my first bees and have no need to move them at this time.  However, I'm pretty confident at some point I'll want to move some bees, and I'm quite confident I'll probably want to be moving them more than 2 feet, but less than 2 miles.

The process explained in your link was welcome news!

Appreciate your and so many others on this forum's willingness to document and share their knowledge.  It's greatly appreciated!  :)

anything