Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Swarm died on side of house  (Read 2400 times)

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
Swarm died on side of house
« on: June 11, 2010, 07:44:26 pm »
I got 4 calls today for swarms. 2 of them are actually in the exterior walls of two different houses. 1 swarm we were able to collect. The last swarm I called the lady and she was telling me some very strange things. She said the bees actually landed on her house last night. SHe told me she took a can of spray to spray the bees and when she approached the swarm she noticed things falling off the wall. The lady thought the bees were digging out the wall. The lady said she looked better and sall the clumps falling off were actually dead bees. SHe said most of the bees fell off the wall to the ground and were dead. SHe told me she sprayed the remaining bees and but today there were more flying around.

My question is if she did not spray them first and the bees were falling off in clumps what would cause this?

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Swarm died on side of house
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 08:13:33 pm »
Someone most likely sprayed them: a neighbor, a relative, the lawn guy, the mail man...

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 12:20:21 am »
Thanks Jp. Someone told the lady the bees "exploded" from not off loading the honey. They told her the bees eat all the honey from the old hive and only have some much time to get rid of the honey before they explode. Its amazing how many people out there know little about bees. The lady did want to know more about bees so I answered all her questions. She said next time she'll call me before she calls anyone else.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 12:49:07 am »
If they did get a hold of fermented honey that could kill them.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 01:28:30 am »
Sounds like they were sprayed to me too. You'd be surprised at how many calls I've gotten recently where the bees had obviously been sprayed but the people (feeling guilty about it) denied everything.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Rebel Rose Apiary

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2010, 11:13:54 am »
YEs, I know what you mean....those good folks tyy spraying first and then usually panic afterwards, since there are still live KILLER bees flying around and then want us to clean up their big messes.

I had one nice lady that had swarms in four of her wondows at one time.....that is what she told me anyways....as I never got to see them....her big, macho son come to see her, sprayed the bees and then had the 'whatever' to have her call me back and say that he had 'done most of the work for me already' and wanted me to remove the rest of the bees......

The other one was a swarm at a school ball field and the big burly know it all coach sprayed the bees before I got there....I got another call and they said that the bees were not in a swarm cluster anymore, but they were now crawling all over the place and could I still remove all of them before they had a ball game....?????

Brenda

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2010, 01:32:58 pm »
Tell them you can vac up the dead bees, but the price is going to be real high, and it has to be cash.  You could use a new shop vac right?

anything