Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: WIfe gets Bee Stung!  (Read 2024 times)

Offline blanc

• House Bee
WIfe gets Bee Stung!
« on: June 20, 2013, 07:12:47 pm »
I keep four strong hives of mine in a field behind the house here and I have to suit up the cut near them or pay the price. My wife used to cut this section of grass and has a thing about cutting it. I have told her numerous times don't get close because in the past she has with no problem. Well she had to disregard my warning because she knows better.  :-\ Well when I looked back there she zoomed right in front of those hives and guess what happened.  :roll: She came short of jumping in the pool to get them off her an had about twenty left tangled in her hair. She took about eight hits and had to pump her with some benadryl because was not sure how she would react not having been stung in a long time. She faired well with the stings but not my told you so's. The next time she say's my kids bad habits come from my folks I will just point to the field.>>>>>>>>>  :-D
Psalm 19:9-10
The fear of the Lord is clean,enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, yea ,than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
Re: WIfe gets Bee Stung!
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 11:50:43 pm »
That's why I am moving my bees about 200 yards and across the road.  If the wife aint happy no one is.

Joe

Offline Palouse

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 11:57:03 pm »
Yikes. I live in town on a 12k sq. ft. lot. I've got three kids, and a dog, and my neighbor I found out last weekend is allergic to bee stings. No way I could have bees like that.

This is my first year, and I've got two, strong hives of Italians. I hope this is not what to expect later in the season.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 12:20:41 am »
More than likely the exhaust clippings were aimed right at the hive or the exhaust from the muffler hit the hive to cause this attack. I cut around the hives here in town all the time but I am careful not to spray them with the exhausts. I was cutting in front of these same hives when I had them at my farm on a trailer with a different mower and on the third pass one hive got hit with the grass clippings. They chased me for over 150'. I let them settle down and tried three more times cutting the field 50 feet from the hives and every time they attacked my head. I ended up having to put my suite on to cover my head to finish the job 3 hours later.
It takes 3 weeks before you will be able to cut around the with out being attached. In 3 weeks these bees are all dead.
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline PLAN-B

• House Bee
  • When all else fails go to PLAN-BEE
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 12:59:10 am »
I always wonder how everyone else makes out during the cutting of the grass...sounds like a movie title...lol. I have three hives next to each other on my three acres with a strip of landscaping fabric in front so I don't have to get to close... (About four feet wide) I tend to approach slowly and then go fast like they won't see me... Haha--- I haven't been stung cutting the grass "yet". Just a couple head buttes every now and then...
Marshall

Offline Oblio13

• House Bee
    • Philosophizing with a Hammer
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 08:54:39 am »
Used to fly fighters. One of our unofficial 'mottos' was "One pass, haul ass", i.e., you never want to circle around and fly over a target area twice, because the anti-aircraft gunners will be alert and waiting for you the second time. I apply that philosophy to mowing hear hives.

Offline blanc

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 09:52:12 am »
Used to fly fighters. One of our unofficial 'mottos' was "One pass, haul ass", i.e., you never want to circle around and fly over a target area twice, because the anti-aircraft gunners will be alert and waiting for you the second time. I apply that philosophy to mowing hear hives.

:laugh: :laugh: Too funny! When I pass slower with the engine on low they seem not to mind too much and think the vibration irritates them more than the exhaust. I did put a tarp on the ground in front to kill the weeds off so not to get so close. I started placing my hives facing the woods and has helped in the other areas I have hives to keep them calm and my buddy says it works as they don't chase him like they used too.
Blanc
Psalm 19:9-10
The fear of the Lord is clean,enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, yea ,than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

Offline Nyleve

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 11:32:28 am »
This exact thing happened to my husband two years ago. I said to husband: "Don't cut the grass near the hive." I said this more than once. Well, he never will again, I can tell you that. He ended up rolling on the grass, tearing his clothes off with the mower still running all by itself. Some people can only learn by experience.

Offline Jwhatman

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 11:47:49 pm »
My lawn guys refuse to weed wack by my 1 hive because a couple of workers got stung.  The ran the lawn mower by the hives first, then the guys come around and weed wack, that's when they got stung.  Another worker got stung going past the hive with the blower.  Told them to face the exhaust away from the hive, and to keep the grass clipping away from the hives, they didn't listen.  So now I have to do it.  Not a big area,so it's not a big deal, but it is funny to see the lawn guys eyeing the hive and keeping a wide birth.  I weed wacked and had no issues, they could care less, but then I wasn't getting grass near them.

Joyce

anything