Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: late Apiguard and wrapping for winter  (Read 1823 times)

Offline paulh

• New Bee
late Apiguard and wrapping for winter
« on: October 07, 2008, 01:48:17 pm »
I'm due for my second dose of Apiguard, and the weather here in the North East has turned much cooler.  The 10-day forecast has it in the 60's, that's just within the lower range for Apiguard to work.

I know some beekeepers around here wrap their hives for the winter.  I plan to do the same.

Would wrapping now be a good idea?  I'm thinking it would raise the internal temperature and make the Apiguard more effective.

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
Re: late Apiguard and wrapping for winter
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 06:19:33 pm »
Would wrapping now be a good idea?

I wouldn't do it at all.  My first year I wrapped with roofing tar paper.  I bet it kept the hive warmer but even with open SBBs, it was really wet inside.  I haven't wrapped since and I've noticed that it is much drier inside the hive, except for the inner cover where water condenses.  I crack the inner cover with shims to help the moisture move out.  Save your money and forget the wrap.  They'll be fine without it.  Ventilation is much more important.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline MustbeeNuts

• Field Bee
    • Great White Betta
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 09:16:41 pm »
I haven't decided whether to wrap or not, still thinking about it, but I have solid bottoms, the shimming I know ,, but I think a little extra might not be a bad idea. I lloked at the MInnisota University they reccomended wrapping. who knows , what ever you feel comfortable with. right now I don't feel comfortable with anything. LOL
Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 09:26:54 pm »
I bet it would be good idea for extreme cold like where Finsky lives.  I know he uses terrarium heaters but can't remember if he wrapped or not.   
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin