Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: mann lake swarm traps  (Read 5149 times)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
mann lake swarm traps
« on: February 17, 2010, 04:06:00 pm »
has anyone used them and what is the best way to bait them?

i ordered two.  i have a friend who live close to a huge berry farm.  those pollination hives throw of tons of swarms.  i thought it would be easier to put out a couple of traps than chase down swarms in trees when people call me.  :-)

i ordered the traps because i figured they'd look better in her tree than one of my boxes, but i have never used them.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: mann lake swarm traps
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 05:00:21 pm »
Lemongrass essential oil.  Queen juice if you've got it.  Old comb if you've got it.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 05:24:04 pm »
same as a box   :-D

i have all of the above.  i guess my question was more mechanical, the material.  i should wait until they come and see for myself........
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 05:39:44 pm »
Kathy, the Dadant and Mann lake traps look very similar. I have caught many in the Dadant traps, I use lemon grass oil & a piece of old comb. One word of caution. When you put them out make sure you or the customer is monitoring them on a regular basis. If you wait more than a few days after they have arrived the trap may have to be cut apart to remove the comb sections and bees. A swarm can fill them much faster than you would think! http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/IYKRM1RPGnghacQVYF4GMw?feat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/07lH8NPXvmtyh3YF6-MY9g?feat=directlink
same swarm: http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/yOdZBJtO6rEg0g2Gs3MVpQ?feat=directlink
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/yu04Fj4r-vqsvmJnaS3XQg?feat=directlink

...JP

My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 06:14:27 pm »
thanks, i'll remember that.  the suckers were kind of spendy with shipping so i'd like to be able to save them.  just didn't want something junky looking where it would be visible at her house.  i think this will blend in well.
guess i could have camo painted one of my boxes  :evil:

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 06:54:11 pm »
JP's photos are cool.  I've never used those though I considered it.  I opted not to because you had to move the swarm once you caught it and had to keep an close eye on the traps.  I also was told it only last a season or two (depending on rainfall) which is right when it should be the best from all of the swarm smells it's hopefully aquired.  I use homemade nucs (look nice, interchangeable lids and fit 5 frames).  A swarm moves in and can take care of itself for a couple of weeks (about how often I check them).  At that point I can simply move those frames that now have eggs and larva into a deep and start all over.  I have camo painted them if in areas that are too conspicuous.  The other thing I love about the nuc/swarm traps is you can overwinter in them.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline fish_stix

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 09:20:32 pm »
If you get a lot of rain those traps are useless. Basically, it's a bucket shaped sponge! As JP mentioned, you need to keep an eye on them and get the swarm out of them quickly or it's a huge mess once they've drawn comb, which a swarm does practically overnight. Better off to use a nuc box and camoflage it with foliage or paint.

Offline garys520

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 07:25:49 am »
I have two of the sponge like swarm traps and if they get wet they're like a sponge and I agree if a swarm goes unchecked for a week you'll have a mess.  I'm  still using them, but I have a small wood "roof" over the top to shelter the trap from the rain.  I'm now building small nuc like traps out of old plywood so my frames can removed quickly. 

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 09:47:47 am »
If you use traps that have frames you dont have to check them as often and in fact when they catch a swarm I like to leave it for a few days to a week.   That gives the queen time to start laying.   Once there is brood you got them

Offline Damonh

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 10:29:50 am »
Kathy, on the wpn last week they talked about mixing the lemmongrass oil with bees wax and olive oil. It is th make the sent last longer. I have one of these type of traps and have never caught anything in them. I like the 5 frame nuc style box. Caught 10 swarms in them last year.
Damon

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 02:51:25 pm »
we'll see how this works.  if she had a good place for a box, i'd put one there.  i get calls to that neighborhood in spring to collect the swarms, so i was hoping to cut down on some of the work and frantic calls. 

our rain has been far less this year.  i hope that will continue through the spring. 

anyone ever try painting those traps with paraffin like the cardboard nuc boxes?  i have plenty of paraffin.  those nuc boxes take the weather well.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2010, 12:37:56 pm »
FYI

i got a pound of paraffin wax and painted the outside.  was easy to do and cheep.  am considering painting the inside of the top with bees wax.  have lots of that.

anything