Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Neighborhood beekeeping  (Read 1952 times)

Offline AdmiralD

• House Bee
Neighborhood beekeeping
« on: July 19, 2005, 11:09:42 am »
At the start of this venture, I decided to let my neighbors on each side of my house know that I was keeping 2 colonys of bees. Well, one moved but not because of the bees. In fact, I never got around to telling him. And the new neighbor doesn't know either....[sigh]

Well, I harvest 3 super frames and got about 3 quarts of honey. I took a pint to the neighbor that I had asked, and he seemed grateful for the honey. In fact, he seemed a bit more concerned about his spraying  herbicide than I was, around his side of the fence near  the bees. I told him spot spraying was probably ok, but major spraying to let me know.

I also took another pint to another neighbor down the street who I had heard wasn't too keen on bees....but the look on his face and the good will that a pint of honey produces is well worth the effort to break down barriers of 'bee prejudice".... :)

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Neighborhood beekeeping
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2005, 06:37:37 pm »
I had bees in many locations in town and my standard policy was to not tell them until that fall.  I'd take them some honey and some would be surprised I had bees.  Some had already noticed.  But mostlyt he ones the notice know something about bees.  There's a lot less fear when the bees have already been there for a season then the anticipation of something they don't understand.  When the first they know of it the bees have already been there for almost a year there isn't any anticipation.  It's already happened.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything