Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Rain and installing a package  (Read 9761 times)

Offline Hiveyleague

• New Bee
Rain and installing a package
« on: March 28, 2011, 04:54:31 pm »
This week it's supposed to rain on and off(in central Florida) all week.Is this a bad week to install package bees?And if so why?
 Yup I'm green and new to beekeeping!!Gotta start somewhere!!
“The bee is more honored than other animals, not because she labors, but because she labors for others”
 Saint John Chrysostom

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Rain and installing a package
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 05:19:27 pm »
Between showers on a warm day is a fine time to install packages. They don't fill the air as badly, and aren't as likely to drift.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 05:44:23 pm »
i have done it in crappy weather.  even cold, crappy weather.  just run it though in your mind so that you have everything ready.  be aware that sometimes not all the bees will shake out, so if you can rig a little cover over the entrance to put the box protected from rain, the stragglers will find their way in. some people put the box inside the hive, but that requires that you retrieve it.  better, i think, not to need to go back into the hive for a few days.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Mason

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 05:46:37 pm »
I installed 3 packages in the rain this weekend.  It went smooth as far as I know.  I'll get back to you if any problems arise but they are all still in their respective boxes this morning.
Former beekeeper until March....maybe next year...RIP

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 06:11:58 pm »
I've installed many packages where if the bees did not fall into the hive, they froze when they hit the ground. Rain would be a pleasure with some of the conditions up here. I wouldn't even wait for the rain to stop.  :-D
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline backyard warrior

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 07:40:45 pm »
my bad
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 12:29:00 am by backyard warrior »

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 09:06:17 pm »
I've had excellent success when hiving packages during rainy and cold weather in temps as low as 36F.  I think they're more likely to stick around.

thomas
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 10:39:44 pm »
Hey Mike talking about hiving packages i never heard back when the shipment was coming  Chris

That is because I have not been given a date yet.

Do me a favor....next time, PM or email me. I don't bring my business to the forum, and I don't talk to my customers through a forum.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 07:31:51 am »
Works great in a light rain.  I'd wait for a letup if it's pouring...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Hiveyleague

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 09:54:49 am »
Thanks for all the advise folks!!!!!! :-D
“The bee is more honored than other animals, not because she labors, but because she labors for others”
 Saint John Chrysostom

Offline woodchopper

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 01:03:56 pm »
Between showers on a warm day is a fine time to install packages. They don't fill the air as badly, and aren't as likely to drift.
Last year we installed 7 packages on a rainy and cold day under a lawn umbrella. I couldn't believe how easy is went because they weren't flying around as much.
Every man looks at his wood pile with a kind of affection- Thoreau

Offline thegolfpsycho

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2011, 05:51:52 pm »
Just installed packages during a fairly heavy snow Sunday.  I place the queen cage, one good shake to cover her, inner cover on, open package over the inner cover in second hive body.  Next day remove empty package, release queen, put feeder jar over slot in inner cover, see em later when jar is empty.  Gave em a walkby today.  Snow is melting fast, and they are bringing in pollen.  They are on drawn comb, and I'm betting they make a harvestable crop before I split them mid summer.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 06:02:26 pm by thegolfpsycho »

Offline beenerds

• New Bee
    • Beenerds
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2011, 06:44:09 pm »
I installed 4 packages on Feb 24 in Vancouver canada and it was -2 C and below 0 for 3 days after, then started to rain and has barely let up since  :? I have had a few chances to look in to see how things are going and all seems ok some brood, and larva. so I believe a little rain will be fine. good luck!!!!

Offline Hiveyleague

• New Bee
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2011, 08:35:55 pm »
I guess I got no worries,because we don't near that bad of weather down here in the sunshine state that ya'll up north have,but we have the summer monsoons.

Thanks again for the all the info. :-D
 Saint John Chrysostom