Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How come?  (Read 2447 times)

Offline jmblakeney

• House Bee
  • James
How come?
« on: February 10, 2011, 01:58:22 am »
Another new beekeeper.  I wonder how come every time you tell someone that you are keeping bees that they always ask.  Why do you want to get stung for?  I guess some people just don't get it.
"I believe the best social program is a job...." - Ronald Reagan

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: How come?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 09:19:50 am »

And tell people that you really like to get stung.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 09:51:55 am »
I often get the question "have you ever been stung" to which I use Bullseye Bill's reply, "you mean today?"
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline jmblakeney

• House Bee
  • James
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 07:19:41 pm »
AllenF, Thank you.
Micheal, I'm sure there's a Bill Engval "here's your sign" joke in there somewhere.  I just can't thinks of something to say with it.  haha
"I believe the best social program is a job...." - Ronald Reagan

Offline Countryboy

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 10:10:11 pm »
I get asked if I get stung, but I don't recall getting asked why I want to get stung.

Just tell them the hazard pay is really good - the stings are worth it.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 10:12:07 am »
It relieves my arthritis.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Highlandsfreedom

• House Bee
    • Organic gardening and Bee Services.
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 10:26:38 am »
Thats what I was going to say....Free apitherapy,  good enough reason for me and the mead too.  :-D
To bee or not to bee that is the question I wake up to answer that every morning...

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 12:02:12 pm »
I'd rather them ask me if I get stung.  Then I can tell them about beekeeping in just shorts and sandals.  :-D

Last couple of years it's been "So...did all your bees die in that catastrophic bee illness going around?"  <and then they proceed to tell me all about it.... :-x >
Rick

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 07:36:39 am »
Since I do a lot of removals I'm often speaking with people who want to get rid of the bees that are inhabiting their dwelling.

One of the most common comments I hear is "so you get the queen right? and they all follow her, correct?"

Then its on like Donkey Kong and I'm explaining how it works and my eyes get all shiny and my lips go to flappin' and before you know it the air is consumed with bee talk.

People are blown away when you explain to them that once a hive is established, with proper resources you can remove the current queen and the colony will just make another.

Then the questions come, and there are many, which is just great!

Yep, I get the, duh, you ever get stung question.  :-D quite often. Most times I say never, and just give them that look.  ;)

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline pasic2007

• Brood
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 12:17:09 pm »
It seems that everything in this world is  dangerous  and interesting. Being a beekeeper is not  easy  and  that  fascinates  people. They  do not know if the bees know how to master  everything is under control. But accidents  will happen. And if they are advertised  and  make  the  profession  more  attractive.

anything