Welcome, Guest

Poll

How many hive do you have currently set up?

1-10 hives
42 (75%)
10-20 hives
5 (8.9%)
20-50 hives
6 (10.7%)
50 -100 hives
1 (1.8%)
100-150 hives
0 (0%)
150-300 hives
1 (1.8%)
over 300 hives
1 (1.8%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: How Many Hives Do You Have?  (Read 8498 times)

Offline BeeDog

• House Bee
Re: How Many Hives Do You Have?
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2014, 09:34:39 am »
Swarming season here is in late April or early May, I have a lot of boxes since I make my own equipment/hive boxes. I will be splitting after the main honey flow which started this month since almost all flowering plants and fruit orchards are blooming and will end on April. Hope I will double the number of my colonies this year.  :)
It is highly recommend that split be done with only strong healthy hives that have at least two Brood Chambers with Brood in all stages of development. Frames with capped Brood should be split evenly between the two hives.

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2014, 09:45:31 am »
Wow!  That is amazing!  I guess I just assumed swarms were possible most of your season and 'not so close' with ours.  Our swarm season begins in late May, early June.  What's amazing is that we 'currently' have minus 22 F degrees and over 3.5 ' of snow, likely a 60 to 80 degree difference than you're having……..today any way.  8-)

WOW!  :)
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline my-smokepole

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2014, 10:03:38 pm »
42 going into winter. I hope to know my looses  this week
My-smokepole

Offline Edgy

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2014, 10:49:52 pm »
Zero and counting

Offline kingd

• New Bee
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2014, 07:08:38 am »
I now have 8, just waiting for some bees to put in them  :-D

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2014, 09:25:15 am »
After 50+ days w/ below freezing temps, today we are expected to reach 38F (its 18 F right now).  High enough for cleansing flights, provided the winds are calm, so I'll chime in with any successes or failures tomorrow, possibly a new thread.  I'm praying for massive amounts of 'yellow polka dots' in the snow…... :-\  Any good wishes will always be appreciated.  :)
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline BeeDog

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2014, 10:03:10 am »
Just had my 5th hive with bees as I got mated queen yesterday and split... so I now have 70 hives with 5 having bees on it.  :-D
It is highly recommend that split be done with only strong healthy hives that have at least two Brood Chambers with Brood in all stages of development. Frames with capped Brood should be split evenly between the two hives.

Offline D Semple

• Field Bee
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2014, 07:48:10 pm »
Got to check 3 yards today, lost 5 out of 28 hives in those. 1st flying day we have had in about 2 months, supposed to be back in the teens next week. Only one of my losses was from a big hive the other 4 were all last year cutouts  :) Been a cold winter will be glad to see it go.

Don

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2014, 08:02:33 pm »
Good Luck to you there T Beek, and others as well.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Stevezone5

• New Bee
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2014, 11:15:59 pm »
T Beek... you have my wish for good luck.....al lI ask is for a little of the same  :) 

My wife and I started fall with 6 colonies this year. I was expecting one to fail early and it did (late fall). With the other five I was figuring a majority loss.  Maybe coming out of winter with one or two?

So far we lost 4 total. But spring is a-ways away

How many Hives do I have?? two alive (for now) and 8 drawn 10 frame deeps ready for packages.

GL all Steve

Offline splitrock

• House Bee
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2014, 09:08:35 pm »
Well it hit 50 here today after an extended cold period, and I was able to get into my hives to put some feed on. It was obvious nobody had made any cleansing flights for a while, it was probably the messiest afternoon I ever spent in my bee yard. Everyone must have got out.

I was pleasantly surprised with the numbers I saw. I know I still have a ways to go, but it's running about 10% loss for me, and I had close to 100 hives going into winter.

I hope t-beek has similar results, and that everyone else fares well.