Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: IMITATION HONEY  (Read 3296 times)

Offline CBEE

• House Bee
IMITATION HONEY
« on: January 19, 2008, 10:52:19 am »
I was in the store last night and there was a rack full of honey that had not previously been there so I picked up a bottle to check out the producer. It said Great Lakes on the label and then what do I spy on the label but the word imitation  :evil:.. Then I think OK What is this stuff??
It was mostly some kind of syrup. Then I notice that it is mixed in with bottles that say pure honey of the same brand.  :roll:

Offline REDBEE

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • House Bee
Re: IMITATION HONEY
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 11:17:44 am »
Check out KFC honey packets, it's called honey sauce with more corn syurp than anything.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 11:33:23 am »
Fraud.  It's bad enough to make the jar look like honey, put imitation in small letters (which I am assuming from my own experience) but to put it interspersed with the real honey is outright deception.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Dick Allen

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 01:26:10 pm »
Like it or not (and I don't), it's a fact of life. How many years has the non-dairy product margarine been sold in the dairy section of grocery stores? One particular brand has the name 'Move over Butter'. Many claim to taste "just like real butter". They don't of course, but....

And, butter isn't the only other product besides honey that's been imitated and sold.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 01:32:10 pm »
http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/statutes/ag.toc.htm

§ 131.081.  USE OF "HONEY" ON LABEL.  A person may not
label, sell, or keep, offer, or expose for sale a product identified
on its label as "honey," "liquid or extracted honey," "strained
honey," or "pure honey" unless the product consists exclusively of
pure honey.

Amended by Acts 1983, 68th Leg., p. 1884, ch. 350, § 1, eff.
Sept. 1, 1983.

Â§ 131.082.  USE OF BEE, HIVE, OR COMB DESIGN.  A person
may not label, sell, or keep, expose, or offer for sale a product
that resembles honey and that has on its label a picture or drawing
of a bee, hive, or comb unless the product consists exclusively of
pure honey.

Sept. 1, 1983.

Â§ 131.083.  SALE OF IMITATION HONEY.  A person may not
label, sell, or keep, expose, or offer for sale a product that
resembles honey and is identified on its label as "imitation
honey."

Sept. 1, 1983.

Â§ 131.084.  SALE OF HONEY MIXTURES.  (a)  A person may
not label, sell, or keep, expose, or offer for sale a product that
consists of honey mixed with another ingredient unless:
      (1)  the product bears a label with a list of
ingredients;  and             
      (2)  "honey" appears in the list of ingredients in the
same size type of print as the other ingredients.
   (b)  A person may not label, sell, or keep, expose, or offer
for sale a product that contains honey mixed with another
ingredient and contains in the product name "honey" in a larger size
of type or print or in a more prominent position than the other
words in the product name.

Sept. 1, 1983.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Dane Bramage

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 01:47:21 pm »
I can't believe it's not butter honey!  :mrgreen:

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2008, 02:00:58 pm »
Best butter advertisement:

"You never hear us say we taste like margarine."
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline tig

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2008, 09:03:30 pm »
theres a cooperative operating in a nearby province that has over 600 cerana colonies among their members.  they do constant feeding of sugar syrup and harvest every 20 to 30 days.  their economic figures are: four 50 kilo bags of sugar will make 100 kls. of honey for 40 colonies per month. they are fraudulently selling it as "honey".  we have been trying to convince them to properly label it as "honey syrup" and list sugar as a content but to no avail.  it's been a source of deep aggravation to the legitimate beekeepers for years. 

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 09:22:28 am »
I saw something similar at Walmart the other day and almost bought some just to try it.  It was packaged in a queenline style container with a traditional label that said "Honey" in big letters and "immatation" in tiny letters under it!  Made mostly of corn syrup and dyed to look like a honey color.  Totally crazy.  I guess it's meant for people who love honey but are allergic to it.  Totally weird.

Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline CBEE

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2008, 09:30:16 am »
Sean K.
The stuff I saw was at Walmarts rival Meijer. Same type of lable and if you were not paying attention you would never notice the word imitation. Looked the same as any other bottle on the shelf. I'll gaurantee it doesn't tast the same.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2008, 10:18:32 am »
The human race disgusts me at times.  The products that are out there for the consumer to consume.....blah!!!!  Those list of rules of honey that Jerry copied into his post are obviously not even closely adhered to and it makes me sick.  I know that I often don't read the small print on things, and I can bet your bottom dollar that many people don't either.  This would pertain even more to the elderly folk, disgusting, abuse of a nation.  Best of a great and wonderful day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline limyw

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2008, 11:24:54 am »
hey...You all are in better luck because at least the seller did indicate it as "imitation". Over here you can find bottled syrups ( or any other things) that sell as "honey" without any label. :evil:
lyw

Offline Sir Stungalot

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2008, 07:53:32 pm »
I would be willing to bet most people are not even aware that there is such thing as fake honey.  If it is gold, in a "honey" jar, it must be honey, right?  Why would they even bother to really look close at the label? A pretty good scam, in its own devious way. Stick it right next to the real stuff (imported from India, Russia, Brazil, China...gag) and I think someone would just pick it up on the price factor.

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2008, 12:53:03 pm »
"Caveat Emptor!" we have only to blame ourselves. Sadly rules are adopted like the ones posted by jerry for Texas b/c of unscrupulous sellers and stupid buyers.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2008, 01:02:46 pm »
KONASDAD,

So I was wondering. With those rules for Texas, if I was to spot some of this imitation honey on a store shelf, what could be done about it?
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2008, 05:24:49 pm »
KONASDAD,

So I was wondering. With those rules for Texas, if I was to spot some of this imitation honey on a store shelf, what could be done about it?

Aliens cant recover!(illegal alians can!)
seriously, you would notify the appropriate agency. They would probably force removal, unless comp has bad history, than maybe one of those class actions where everyone gets a nickel. Not likely. Just administartive warning and removal in all likelihood w/ profuse apologies.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline tig

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2008, 08:40:21 pm »
the battlecry of the fakers here is:  it comes from the bees, ergo...it's honey!

anything