Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: crepyt myrtles  (Read 4312 times)

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
crepyt myrtles
« on: May 14, 2008, 07:27:48 pm »
do the bees utilize this tree.. I guess this is sort of a southern US question

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: crepyt myrtles
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 10:19:31 am »
Keith, yes I heard that the bees love this shrub.  I planted one this year, which I bought from a nursery.  I will know for surely myself if this is true, but I am positive it is.  BEautiful day in this great life. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 10:32:56 am »
Cindi,
Isaw you called it a shrub. it must get cold enough where you are to kill it back in the winter. Down here in the south they grow to trees 30 or 40 feet tall well some species do of course you have the dwarf varieties as well, but IMHO it is the most overplanted tree in the south every new house it seems has 4 or 5 trees planted around it. but if the bees do in fact visit this tree I for sure will not care that it is as overplanted as it is

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 10:33:50 am »
I don't think these trees turn the bees on all that much.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 10:41:45 am »
JP, oooh, time will tell that tale.  The variety that I planted evidently only grows to 8 feet maximum.  Different variety I guess.  I will be disappointed if the bees have not an interest, but that is OK, it sounded like a pretty shrub (not a tree here).  Beautiful and most awesomely great day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 11:14:16 am »
My hives are located at a commercial tree farm with acres and acres of crape myrtle. I see a few bees on the white ones, but none on the colors. What a shame because they are so abundant here in the south and the blooming period is very long.

Steve   
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 12:06:17 pm »
they go to white a fair amount and the red less. OK tree for bees. It does provide nectar when a lot of other plants have quit for the summer dog days and the fall flow hasn't yet arrived.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 01:44:54 pm »
JP, oooh, time will tell that tale.  The variety that I planted evidently only grows to 8 feet maximum.  Different variety I guess.  I will be disappointed if the bees have not an interest, but that is OK, it sounded like a pretty shrub (not a tree here).  Beautiful and most awesomely great day, Cindi

Its just not a tree the bees get a lot from, they are pretty to look at though, quite a beautiful tree, I have a dwarf one in my front yard.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 01:18:12 am »
   I only see them on when there is nothing better available.
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 07:22:10 pm »
To clarify even further, a friend and mentor of mine who has been keeping bees for well over twenty yrs says there is virtually nothing that crepe myrtles have to offer bees.

...JP

anything