Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Howdy from Central Texas  (Read 3659 times)

Offline tecumseh

• House Bee
Howdy from Central Texas
« on: August 25, 2010, 08:04:47 am »
I am a small beekeeper from Central Texas.  I raise a bit of a honey crop and maintain a queen breeder's licenses issued by the state of Texas. 

I am 'the panther that passes in the night'... tecumseh.

Offline eivindm

• Global Moderator
  • Field Bee
    • Eivind's page
Re: Re: Howdy from Central Texas
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 08:05:18 am »
A late welcome to the forum :-)

Offline tecumseh

• House Bee
Re: Howdy from Central Texas
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 07:32:18 am »

Approximately 50 years ago I began beekeeping as a 4-H project along the western slope of the Appalachian Mtns (very western edge of THE Washington Plantation). Over the years I have kept bees in Florida, Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, Texas (in 4 very different locations), and North Dakota.  I have had the opportunity to work for three commercial bee operations and participate in the migratory movement of bees.  Some years back (decades actually) I self taught himself queen rearing.

In 2003, I decided to begin building something for his retirement years and slowly begin assembling bee equipment and adding hives with the primary goal of producing a small honey crop for the local community.  Adding to this original goal of producing a small honey crop, I also produce a small number of starter hives (often times called "nucs" (for nucleus) and queens. I currently maintains a Texas Queen Breeding Permit and a Texas Intrastate Bee Moving Permit.  Eventually I would like to be capable of producing a pretty bee that would be an acceptable specimen for beginner beekeepers.  I am also currently employed (very much part time) as the chief apiarist at the Texas A&M Honeybee Lab.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 06:21:00 am »
Welcome
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 07:44:09 am »
Welcome to the forum.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2013, 01:26:28 pm »
Sorry that I had missed you, I try to welcome everyone when they introduce themselves.

Welcome to the forum, You probably know as much if not more than the rest of us about bees.  Glad to have you here.
I have had bees about 3 or 4 years, still have a lot to learn.

Joe

Offline JPinMO

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 10:59:25 pm »
Ditto what Joe said - glad to have your experience on board!
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters
cannot be trusted in large ones either."  Albert Einstein