Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: drones in january  (Read 2712 times)

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
drones in january
« on: January 04, 2009, 04:55:16 pm »
ANYONE ELSE SEEING ALOT OF DRONES IN THEIR HIVES YET?   I WAS OUT BACK WATCHING THE HIVES TODAY AND NOTED A GOOD AMONT OF DRONES COMING AND GOING!  OUR TEMPS ARE WARM ( 70'S )
BUT I DIDNT THINK I WOULD BEE SEEING LOTS OF DRONES AT THIS TIME OF YEAR.

BAILEY
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
Re: drones in january
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 07:10:33 pm »
I havn't been outside a whole lot with all this snow & cold but when it warmed up to 43 one day there was a drone coming out of the hive!! The girls were out & in too but I was surprised to see the drone.  Was a fat healthy looking one too..prolly from watching football & snacking on bee bread!  J
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 07:19:08 pm »
I have not seen any for a couple months. And I know that there are none in the observation hive.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline peletier

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 09:17:35 pm »
Have not seen any flying but I checked a few of the hives yesterday and they are producing brood...with drones cells mixed in.

Offline magnet-man

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • New Bee
    • Honeymoon Apiaries
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 09:36:41 pm »
Took a quick look into one of my hives that I requeened late last summer. Found some larva and some sealed brood with one emerging. Problem is all the sealed brood are bullet cells. Looks like my replacement queen got superseded and replaced with a unmated fall queen.  :oops:

Offline Valarie

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 11:38:15 pm »
Hi! We've been having spectacular weather here in CA, over 70 yesterday and today. Last week or so I was out watching the hives in the back yard and noticed an uncanny amount of drones flying around, thought it was odd for january...
Peace, Love, & Sunshine!

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 11:40:48 pm »
This is going to sound really dumb, do you watch the entrance to see if drones are flying out???  How can I tell if drone are flying?

Dumbnewbee

Offline TimV

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 11:43:00 pm »
They look different, fly different and sound different!! And don't call yourself dumb.

I mentioned my my January harvest post that I had drone brood and hatching brood in SLO county CA last week.

Offline Valarie

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 02:29:35 pm »
I noticed all the worker girls fly effortlessly with a purpose streamlining in and out of the entrance like a well choreographed dance, while the drones are just bumbling about loudly around the hives.
Peace, Love, & Sunshine!

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 10:35:18 pm »
Hmmm, ok I will check.  I didn't notice drones when I was observing the other day...Lot's of girls blasting out of the hive like crazy~

anything