Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How often do you go into your hives?  (Read 2993 times)

Offline stung again

• New Bee
How often do you go into your hives?
« on: March 01, 2016, 12:06:16 pm »
I'm sure the answer to that question depends on many factors, such as time of year, strength of hive, and so on. Do you have a regular inspection schedule you follow?

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
Re: How often do you go into your hives?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 12:35:54 pm »
new packages - 3 days to make sure the queen is out
                      - @14 days to verify the queen is laying
                      - @~ 18 days to see if another box is needed
                      - every 2 weeks to check if another box is needed then every week until 3 boxes are full

other then that every two weeks for established hives especially if I needed to do a deep hive inspection.
Other then that just to check on the supers.
-Mike
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 04:19:32 pm by mikecva »
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 01:10:45 pm »
As little as possible.
Usually when I see something that need attention.
In the spring to do splits and clean out damaged frames, then to add supers.
During the summer to add supers and extract honey.
In the fall to clean out unused/damaged frames, remove excess honey and reduce/add frames of honey for winter or combine as needed.
During winter, only when I see a problem.
I have screen top and bottom boards with trays so I can see problems without opening the hives. The tray provides a good indicator, if there is a sudden increase of material, something is happening that needs to be checked. If there is a sudden increase of small hive beetles in either or both, inspection is warrented.
When the Bee Inspector comes to visit.

This is not for new Beekeepers. They need inspections every 10 days or so to learn what is going on.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 01:28:27 pm »
I always recommend that new beekeepers get into their hives for frame-by-frame inspections every week to 10 days their first year. Consider your initial colony your 'learning hive'. The only way to really learn what's going on inside is to get inside and look. As you become more experienced, you don't have to inspect as often, and inspections will likely be much quicker.

Offline hjon71

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 03:27:21 pm »
I'm with Sawdstmakr on this one. Let the bees do their beesness.
I go into the hive for spring management, adding supers, and fall management. Typically, that's it.
 I don't spend time inspecting every frame or hunting the Queen when I do go in either. Verify the essentials, do what must be done, and leave them alone.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Quite difficult matters can be explained even to a slow-witted man, if only he has not already adopted a wrong opinion about them; but the simplest things cannot be made clear even to a very intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he already knows, and knows indubitably, the truth of the matter under consideration. -Leo Tolstoy

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 05:36:00 pm »
I try to open them at least once every five years whether they need it or not.  ;)

Seriously, assuming I'm not out of the country, I would try to check on them in the spring at least once, just before the flow at least once and at harvest... or anytime something appears amiss.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline KPF

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 06:25:49 pm »
Great question. For those of you who inspect less, rather than more, what do you do to prevent or detect swarming?

I guess the answer might be different if we're talking new hives installed from packages or established hives. 

I saw one of my hives (installed from a package) issue last year. It was a magnificent site. But one I only want to see once. 
"Sprinkles are for winners."

Offline azzkell

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2016, 06:57:03 am »
I have been going in every 2 weeks as was advised by a local beekeeper. This is to rotate frames up and out to keep a healthy hive and to spot any problems, although here in Western Australia the conditions are pretty good so watching for swarming mainly. Oh, and to get the good stuff out of course.

Offline Rurification

• Field Bee
    • Rurification
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2016, 09:18:08 am »
I like to inspect one hive every 3 weeks or so, but I go out and just watch the hives every single day.   I only have a few hives, so with a 3 week schedule, that gets me a look inside every hive at least once every season.   You can learn a lot just by watching them from the outside.

Plus, I never get tired of watching orientation hour. 
Robin Edmundson
www.rurification.com

Beekeeping since 2012

Offline beesNme

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2016, 11:17:27 am »
like Ruriflcation about every 3 weeks, except for nucs which is about every week.

Offline hjon71

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2016, 11:43:08 am »
Great question. For those of you who inspect less, rather than more, what do you do to prevent or detect swarming?

For me that is spring maintenance.
 I open the brood nest by removing empty(broodless) outer frames, sliding frames outward, and Adding new foundationless frames. I run 2 10 frame mediums to overwinter. So it goes from this-

EEBBBBBBEE
EEBBBBBBEE

To this-
FEFEFEFEFEF
EBBFBBFBBE
EBFBBBBFBE

E- broodless
B- brood
F- foundationless frame

I run 3 mediums for the brood nest for spring summer and fall. Then Super above that when the third box gets pretty populated.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Quite difficult matters can be explained even to a slow-witted man, if only he has not already adopted a wrong opinion about them; but the simplest things cannot be made clear even to a very intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he already knows, and knows indubitably, the truth of the matter under consideration. -Leo Tolstoy

Offline Colobee

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2016, 01:05:26 pm »
Usually once or maybe twice a year. Any deep inspection is usually done in the spring - for splits & swarm management & just plain checking. Otherwise, as MB says -  only if something appears to be wrong. I sit & watch them frequently - at least a few times a week, which is how I determine which ones may need some extra attention.

In my experience, the worst thing you can do to a great hive is tear it apart for no good reason. Or just about any hive, for that matter. If you must, try to leave the brood nest in the same configuration you found it. That way the bees won't have to waste as much time re-configuring it.

Using a spare empty box is an easy way to accomplish this. Start with an outside frame, and place it in the empty - repeat. This is also a good way to cycle boxes for maintenance. Of course, the more spare empties, the better - a full hive's worth comes in very handy.

When extracting, I usually put the empty supers away in a nine frame configuration, with new frames in slots 3, 5 & 7. I may set aside one full super of comb per hive, to go on first in the spring,  to "get them rolling". Some years they get almost full bare frames supers - just a frame or two of comb in the middle. That just depends on how much comb I have, and how many producers I run.
The bees usually fix my mistakes

Offline KPF

• New Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2016, 02:25:10 pm »
I like to inspect one hive every 3 weeks or so, but I go out and just watch the hives every single day.   I only have a few hives, so with a 3 week schedule, that gets me a look inside every hive at least once every season.   You can learn a lot just by watching them from the outside.

Plus, I never get tired of watching orientation hour.
[/quote

Do you have an specific "observation pearls" that you can share? For example, what observable behavior would give you a clue as to what is going on in the hive?

I wonder if one problem with new packages installed by new beekeepers is that we're just disturbing them too much (combined with the fact they need to build comb like crazy). I opened my new hives at least once a week (and one swarmed anyway, as I had no idea what I was looking at).
"Sprinkles are for winners."

Offline mtnb

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2016, 12:04:04 pm »
Well, for me, it was my first year last year, so I went in every 7-10 days. I know less is more but I don't have a mentor nor other beekeepers or clubs nearby so I really learned a lot about their cycle by looking often. I tried not to be too invasive though which is hard because they are so fascinating. lol I also do go out every day like Robin and watch. A good book is "At The Hive Entrance" by H. Storch. Google it. There are free copies online.
I'd rather be playing with venomous insects
GO BEES!

Offline KeyLargoBees

• Field Bee
    • Pirate Hat Apiary
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2016, 01:38:41 pm »
call me a geek...but I have IPM removable sticky boards with screened bottom boards....I have been known to peer up through the screen boards with a flashlight to assess foundationless comb building and determine frame coverage before deciding if a new cutout/swarm needs me to open em up to take a peek ;-)
Jeff Wingate

Changes in Latitudes...Changes in Attitudes....are Florida Keys bees more laid back than the rest of the country...only time will tell!!!
piratehatapiary@gmail.com https://www.facebook.com/piratehatapiary