Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Getting my Wife involved.  (Read 4078 times)

Greywulff

Getting my Wife involved.
« on: October 14, 2008, 07:36:28 pm »
 :-D Took abit of persuading :-D

But she definatly got there...

This is the frame she is holding in the top photo.

Offline Frantz

• Field Bee
Re: Getting my Wife involved.
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 08:00:08 pm »
Hey Greywullf,
That is just great, my wife helps me out as well. She just started and she loves it. It has been a great hobby to share. If I am not mistaken your hives are different than mine over here. It almost looks like your frames run the opposite way?? Mine are about 20" long and fit 10 to a deep, yours look like they are run the opposite way. Just wondering...
Great pics
F
Don't be yourself, "Be the man you would want your daughters to marry!!"

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 08:03:18 pm »
Cool, I think getting the better half involved is great.  My wife was a bit hesitant at first too.  But now she goes with me when she can. 

David

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 09:10:09 pm »
That's wonderful!  Your frame is full!  My husband likes the bees ok from the family room window.  He isn't an outside type of person so I do everything outside.  His interest is "how much are you gonna get for that jar of honey?" :-x  That's why I love this forum, other people with my interests! :-D J.
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Greywulff

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 08:37:35 am »
If I am not mistaken your hives are different than mine over here. It almost looks like your frames run the opposite way?? Mine are about 20" long and fit 10 to a deep, yours look like they are run the opposite way. Just wondering...
Great pics

Yeah there is a big difference there alright.
The WBC hive has lifts on the outside given them the look I like, they act as a double wall great for over wintering but adds some to manipulation of the hive.
The inner brood box is a British Standard National and their are 12 frames measuring 17" odd by 7" odd deep, a lot smaller than your frames.
I think that when frames run the way ours do (across the entrance) its known as warm framing and the opposite way is cold framing. I not too sure on this but I'm sure someone will put me Right :-D

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 10:19:51 am »
Greywulff, wow!!!  Look what you have done, now you got two beekeepers, held deeply under that spell, beauty.  I think that it is so wonderful that you have got your Wife involved with a passion that you share, yeah!!!  Have that most wonderful day, love life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline NasalSponge

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 04:07:35 pm »
I have just started to plant the bug in my wifes ear.....we will see. I keep telling her how many female beeks there are!

Greywulff

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 05:09:16 pm »
I had to keep at her for a while and then on her first visit to the hive she got stung and walked away waving her arms. Thought that was it now she goes with me and nearly takes over spotting the Queen no problem and has given premission  :-D for 15 hives at the end of out property. She even catches the odd bee that ventures into the house and talks to her as she releases her out the window. How kool is that....

Offline Frantz

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 10:32:19 pm »
I know I love it when my wife talks to the bees. We have an OB hive in the office and everyonce in a while we get a few escapees.. I love it when she refers to them as "our girls". I love it.
F
Don't be yourself, "Be the man you would want your daughters to marry!!"