Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Eggs for a trapout  (Read 6215 times)

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Eggs for a trapout
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2011, 12:54:15 pm »
Ziffa and VM are correct. Bees will take up new jobs younger, or revert back to their old jobs, whichever the hive demands.

If you started on the 16th or 26th, and the queen laid for 6 days before stopping, then 21 days for the last eggs to emerge, what date does that bring you to? Right now you still have emerging bees unless they absconded and left the rest to die. Then they need a week or so before being old enough to fly. I say 6 weeks bare minimum, maybe longer if they are still leaving the cone. One week minimum after the last one is seen exiting the cone.

Once the cone is removed, check the bees going in the tree for pollen. If pollen is going in, the queen is still there. Replace the cone. Robbers do NOT carry in pollen.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2011, 01:07:14 pm »
Im going to let it set for about a week longer then remove it. Im 99.9% positive that the swarm I caught came from this hive Im trapping out so Im satisfied that the virgin queen didnt really have time to get real crazy on her egg laying. I know Im guess-timating but Ill take the cone off and watch for a little while. If I see pollen going in, Ill reset my cone. Thanks Iddee for all the trap out help.

Offline BBees

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2011, 08:52:23 pm »
Thank you all for your input.
Steve
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. Confusius

Offline vmmartin

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2011, 09:21:41 pm »
HOT DOG! Been real busy and just went and checked my trapout.  I am tickled to report that I have two hives, both doing well.  The first box is a little low on numbers but alot of nectar and a queen with a great pattern of brood in all stages. The second hive is a double deep with 8 frames of brood in the top box (did not check bottom since the bottom board is 6 feet in the air) and 2 full frames of honey being capped.  I went ahead and added a super and will go bring them all home tomorrow.  Thanks for all the input and advice, especially you iddee. Can y'all tell I am pumped? This was a really cool experience.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2011, 10:08:36 pm »
Don't you read nuttin' on th' innernet, VM? Everybody will tell you, TRAP OUTS DON'T WORK!!!

You are about as stubborn as I am.   :-P   :roll:   :-D
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline lesterp

• New Bee
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2011, 10:54:00 am »
When I put a queen from my nuc into an ongoing trapout, do I need to introduce her in a queen cage, or just dump her in?

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2011, 11:34:10 am »
When I put a queen from my nuc into an ongoing trapout, do I need to introduce her in a queen cage, or just dump her in?

I would introduce the queen
Why don't you put eggs in opposed to your Queen
Just curious

Tommyt
"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2011, 12:07:09 pm »
I would use the whole nuc.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline lesterp

• New Bee
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2011, 01:50:39 pm »
I use my nucs to rob from-frames of eggs or larva or brood.  I had rather have a 10 frame hive full of bees have the queen and let the nuc raise the new queen.  I will put a frame of eggs in the trapout.  It is in the side of a house and has been there over 2 years.  Yesterday, there were lots of bees on the outside.  Hoping for more than 1 box of bees.