Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: little problem!  (Read 3588 times)

Offline Ocean

• House Bee
little problem!
« on: September 25, 2005, 06:33:23 pm »
today i come outside, and my neigbhro is yelling at me, saying that the bees are in his backyard, and flying all around them bothering them.....

i dont know what he is talkin about because my bees calmed themselves down after i started feeding them...

i wanted to find out what should i do, because he is obviously is madd..

this particular guy is just nasty to everyone, my friends when they come over,  ( u guys should know what iam talkin about ... " THOSE NEIGHBORS" )

so what should i do ...

and one more thing.. are there any laws that say that i can't keep bees in my backyard? . i live in Northern Jersey

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
little problem!
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2005, 06:40:50 pm »
You'll have to check your local laws.  Contact the court house.  They'll tell you.  Don't tell them you have bees until you find out for sure whether or not it's legal.

As for your grumpy neighbor.  If he's like that to everyone, to hell with him.  I've dealt with jerks like that before.  They're never happy regardless of what you do.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Ocean

• House Bee
little problem!
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2005, 06:51:32 pm »
Bassman iam just disapointed, that  i live around people like that. people got to the point where nothing can satisfy them, and they only live off their own anger, i cannot believe it...

Offline Kris^

• Field Bee
little problem!
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2005, 07:37:16 pm »
Here is the NJ state regulation concerning management of beeyards:

TITLE 2. DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE  
CHAPTER 76. STATE AGRICULTURE DEVELOPMENT COMMITTEE  
SUBCHAPTER 2A. AGRICULTURAL MANAGEMENT PRACTICES: GENERALLY ACCEPTED OPERATIONS AND PRACTICES

N.J.A.C. 2:76-2A.2 (2005)

§ 2:76-2A.2 Apiary agricultural management practice

(a) The following words and terms, as used in this section, shall have the following meanings:

"Apiary" means one or more colonies of honey bees.

"Bee" means members of the genus apis.

"Colony" means a hive or swarm of bees.

"Hive" means the manmade structure which contains a colony of honey bees.

(b) All overwintering apiaries must be registered with the New Jersey Department of Agriculture, pursuant to N.J.A.C. 2:24-3.1 et seq.

(c) Overwintering apiaries, honey production apiaries, queen and package apiaries and bee colonies utilized for crop pollination will not exceed an average density of 50 colonies per acre.

(d) All colonies must be located at least 25 feet from a public sidewalk, alley, street or road.

(e) All apiaries must be at least 300 feet from any residence, excluding the residence(s) associated with the agricultural operation. If less than 300 feet from any residence, a six feet high solid fence or hedge must be erected buffering the residence.

(f) All apiaries must have on site an adequate source of water which is no more than one-half mile from the apiary.

(g) All bee equipment and hives must be maintained in good condition.

(h) All colonies must be kept in movable frame hives in accordance with N.J.S.A. 4:6-10.

But you may have local ordinances that have the effect of resticting beekeeping, either specifically or by restricting agricultural activities in certain areas.  Here's another regulation you might be interested in:

TITLE 2.  DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE  
CHAPTER 24.  DISEASES OF BEES  
SUBCHAPTER 3.  REGISTRATION OF APIARIES

N.J.A.C. 2:24-3.1 (2005)

§ 2:24-3.1.  Registration requirements; confidentiality and documentation

(a) All bee yards in New Jersey where bees are over-wintered must be registered annually with the New Jersey Department of Agriculture.
   (b) The only information contained in the individual registration that shall be considered public shall be the beekeeper's name and mailing address; all other required information shall be considered confidential.
   (c) The Department of Agriculture shall supply the registrant, with any and all appropriate orders, laws and rules.
   (d) Upon request, the Department shall issue to each registered beekeeper, documentation, which identifies them as a legally registered New Jersey beekeeper.

-- Kris

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
problem
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2005, 08:52:22 pm »
I have bees in Los Angeles many people hear.Most people think there are only Killer bees african bees.If they get stung its is always your bees not a yellow jacket or hornet but your bees.I give all my neighboors honey the universal neighboor solver give him some honey and listen to him
that is what works for me.In L A if someone complains the bees half to go
keep your neighboors happy.When ever I have argued I have lost
kirko
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline Ocean

• House Bee
little problem!
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2005, 02:14:24 am »
So Kris , if i understand this right,,.. that means its legal for me to keep 2 hives in my backyard.. Which is like 40 feet away from the street.... and is guarded by a 6 foot fense

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
little problem!
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2005, 08:06:00 am »
I have some bees in town.  I thought they were hotter than I wanted.  The home owner wasn't complaining any, but when I opened the hive they were hotter than I like so i was siphoning off the old bees and requeening.  I put each box on it's own bottom and lid and an empty on the old stand.  I took the box from the old stand that night with the field bees and took them home to my house and put a queen in a candy cage in.  I went back the next day find the queen and put them back on the old stand and the neighbor came over to inform me that the bees were attacking her grandsons and biting them.  She also demanded to know what I would do if the bees "got loose".  I told her "the bees ARE loose.  They can go where ever they like when ever they like.  Bees are always loose unless, for some brief time someone cages them up and mails them somewhere or closes up the hive for a few hours to move it somewhere."

Since the bees weren't bothering anyone who lived there, and they were walking withing a foot of the hives everday to feed the chickens, I seriously dobut that bees were bothering her grandsons.  Probably yellow jackets and yellow jackets DO bite (and sting).

Interestingly she was right on the fence when she was having this conversation and I was messing with the bees who were not in the best mood since I had been messing with them everyday for the last three days.  (the first when I realized they were hotter than I wanted, the second when I split them up and the third when I was requeening them).  I WAS afraid one might sting her there at the fence while I was stirring them all up like that.  But they didn't.

It's best if you can find out exactly what your legal rights are and what your legal obligations are.  (sounds like you now know the state law and you just need to know the local law) If you are in strict obedience to the law and you keep some calm bees there isn't much the neighber can do.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline leominsterbeeman

• House Bee
    • http://www.leominsterbeeman.com
little problem!
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2005, 02:42:47 pm »
Make sure you give him some honey. 1 -2 lbs will help to atleast make him sweeter.    Even if you have to buy some at a local farm stand and scrape the label off.
Michael Keane
leominsterbeeman@comcast.net
http://www.leominsterbeeman.com

Offline Jay

• House Bee
little problem!
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2005, 07:08:39 pm »
Don't forget to spit in it. (just kidding) :lol:
By the rude bridge that arched the flood
Their flag to Aprils breeze unfurled
Here once the embattled farmers stood
And fired the shot heard round the world
-Emerson

Offline Kris^

• Field Bee
little problem!
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2005, 10:08:15 pm »
Quote from: Ocean
So Kris , if i understand this right,,.. that means its legal for me to keep 2 hives in my backyard.. Which is like 40 feet away from the street.... and is guarded by a 6 foot fense

Well, it sounds like you are in compliance with Dept. of Agriculture regulations.  "Legal" might depend on other factors, though.  Are you in an agricultural zone area?  If not, there may be some zoning or nusiance ordinances that may affect you.  

This discussion got me to wondering about where I live, so I looked up the ordinances in our township.  Bees are considered separate from livestock, and the only prohibition on agricultural use is that you can't keep livestock or poultry in an R-2 or other residential zone.  I was also surprised by another provision: apparently, our township believes agricultural is important enough to declare that any agricultural operation that follows approved management techniques is irrebuttably presumed NOT to be a nuisance.

That's how it is here in our South Jersey township.  Up in North Jersey, where it's more urbanized (or so we believe down here  :lol: ) things might be different.  You really have to check your local ordinances to be sure.

-- Kris

Offline Ocean

• House Bee
little problem!
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2005, 07:23:31 pm »
I have one more question..

Should i still continue to feed my bees? and if yes, when should i stop?

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
little problem!
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2005, 08:59:12 pm »
When I started feeding mine, they were taking two quarts a day.  After a few weeks, they were only taking 1/2 quart.  I stopped feeding at that point.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline FordGuy

• House Bee
little problem!
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2005, 12:04:50 am »

Offline FordGuy

• House Bee
little problem!
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2005, 12:16:29 am »
Quote from: Michael Bush
I have some bees in town.  .....the neighbor came over to inform me that the bees were attacking her grandsons and biting them.  She also demanded to know what I would do if the bees "got loose".  I told her "the bees ARE loose.  They can go where ever they like when ever they like.  Bees are always loose unless, for some brief time someone cages them up and mails them somewhere or closes up the hive for a few hours to move it somewhere."

This situation is rich with possibilities.  You only live once, Mr. Bush, and you COMPLETELY blew it on that one.  

I would have told her,

"oh, they bite on command.  I was just going to set them all loose so they could FEED.  You might want to take your children indoors, as they have been known to carry them off.  You've heard of the Jersey Devil?  Just a swarm of bees set loose to FEED and bite on command.  Oh they're BITERS allright!  Like locusts they are, but for them it's FLESH instead of crops.  But c'mon, even Satan gets turned loose after 1000 years!  Hear that humming? It's a ravenous bee hunger.  their hunger knows no bounds.  But careful, they can smell fear....It's right there in the Bible, in Revelation, in the chapter dealing with painful Bee bites, and how they killed a lion and built their nest in his carcass...the one Samson found?  Oh, it's right there allright.  You look a little pale...might wanna sit down...you like honey?  Know what it's made of, dontcha?