Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Micro Ants on Inner Cover  (Read 3079 times)

Offline DoctorZ

• New Bee
Micro Ants on Inner Cover
« on: May 05, 2012, 10:01:30 am »
Beemanster Greetings!

A couple of my hives continually have very small ants (with ant brood) on the top face of inner cover, ie between the inner cover and the telescoping cover.

I sweep them away at every inspection, but the devils quickly return - even in 12 hrs!

The  girls seem to take them in stride, but I would prefer not to have the ants. I have been spring feeding the bees, and I suspect that it has contributed to the attractions. However, I plan to suspend bee feeding in preparation for the honey flow.

Any thoughts on small ant control? Should I live with it issue?  I would prefer not the use chemicals etc.

Thanks all,

George
Hoover: The man, the dam, the vacuum.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Re: Micro Ants on Inner Cover
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 10:11:37 am »
Cinnamon on the ground under the hive.Ants don't like it and bees tolerate it.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 01:23:46 am »
I do what you've been doing. Dump them on the ground and do my work.  They don't seem to bother the bees.  They like the space because it's warm when the sun is out to incubate their brood.

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline texjim

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 11:46:16 am »
i take a small propane torch and burn them as long as the bees are not near.. will have to try the cinnamon

Offline AliciaH

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 10:55:44 pm »
Swap your inner cover/telescoping cover for a migratory top for a bit.  Get rid of the living space.  You can swap them back after you have convinced the ants that the glorified condo is gone.