Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Screened bottom boards  (Read 5425 times)

Offline NCSteve

• New Bee
Screened bottom boards
« on: January 21, 2005, 07:26:57 pm »
Ive built 8 SBBs. 4 the regular way and 4 90 degrees as was discussed in another topic.

My question I guess is should I permanently close in the sides of the turned board to reduce the entrance at all? Or should I just make some entrance reducers that fit the longer run?
 Ive seen pics of people having permanently smaller entrances on their bottom boards and was just wondering.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Screened bottom boards
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2005, 09:26:23 pm »
Quote from: NCSteve
My question I guess is should I permanently close in the sides of the turned board to reduce the entrance at all?

Not exactly sure what your trying to say here.  I would not permanently reduce the entrance too small otherwise it will get pretty congested in the heart of a honey flow.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline NCSteve

• New Bee
Screened bottom boards
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2005, 09:38:42 pm »
I didnt think I was clear there :)

What I mean is theres something like 18 1/2" of space for the entrance when turning the entrance the long way. Making an 18 1/2" reducer with the standard slot sizes isnt a big deal. What Im wondering is 18 1/2" too much to guard when fully opened? Standard way the entrance is 14 3/4" or so.

It doesnt seem like a big deal, but Ill be painting them Sunday and want to get it all worked out.

If you look at trailtwisters pic on the stickied post youll see the entrance is around 6". Ive seen other pics with the same. Thats what got me to wondering.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Screened bottom boards
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2005, 10:02:49 pm »
For a strong hive, 18+ inches will not be a problem to guard.  I ran one hive with no bottom board last year and they had no problem with robbing.  On the other hand, 6 inches can be to big for a weak hive to guard.  Just keep an eye on them and reduce as needed.

I run mine with a 14" entrance, but that is only so my pollen traps fit without any shims or spacers.

click image for larger view
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline NCSteve

• New Bee
Screened bottom boards
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2005, 10:23:03 pm »
Roger that. Thanx

Offline Beth Kirkley

• House Bee
    • http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/GA216.html
Screened bottom boards
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2005, 11:56:57 pm »
Rob's right with that. I've got my entrances fully open, and as you know my hives run 90 degrees.
No robbing yet, but the hives have been strong.

Beth

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
Screened bottom boards
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2005, 01:57:25 am »
if I understand correctly , it's the same set-up as a D.E. Hive or the D E mod kit, they protect that space every day when open.
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Screened bottom boards
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2005, 09:07:31 am »
Quote from: TwT
if I understand correctly , it's the same set-up as a D.E. Hive or the D E mod kit, they protect that space every day when open.

Sort of similar to the DE mod kit, except David Eyre does not like screened bottom boards, so the mod kit is a solid bottom.  But yes the entrance size on the mod kit is ~ 18-3/8".

I believe the DE hive has the same dimensions as a British standard hive, so the entrance is a tad smaller.  Perhaps someone with a DE hive can let us know.

Offline NCSteve

• New Bee
Screened bottom boards
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2005, 10:43:37 am »
This is from memory cause Im too lazy to look it back up....

The DE hive is 18x18 and runs 11 frames.
 Theyre made with thinner wood to lighten it.
 3 brood boxes.
 Big top with lots of ventilation.

Its discussed with links in another thread.

Ive been reading so much sometimes I forget where I get ideas :)