Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Honey shortage blamed on weather  (Read 3348 times)

Offline asleitch

• House Bee
Honey shortage blamed on weather
« on: December 10, 2004, 09:01:08 am »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/mid/4079279.stm

Well, for those of is in the England anyway   :?

Offline Beth Kirkley

• House Bee
    • http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/GA216.html
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2004, 10:37:25 am »
I think probably all over the world beekeepers have had problems this year. I know myself, in Georgia (USA), had a huge loss of honey due to rain. It rained so much they had to eat all their stores. And I remember alot of people saying they had more rain than usual this year. I'd also imagine there were GREAT losses in Florida due to the hurricanes - not only of honey, but the hives themselves.

Beth

Offline Finman

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2004, 04:50:25 pm »
In Finland rain was huge this year. Only in my area there was 3 weeks without rain in July, and I got a good yied. In many places oif Finland honey yield was only 20% of normal.

Once I wrote to Finnish forum, and I asked how turnip rape has been threshed in their area. One answered that flock of swans were swimming on their turnip rape field.

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2004, 09:29:12 pm »
We had a few weeks of on and off rain but when it rained it rained. About 1/4 of my summer had this problem. bye
Ryan Horn

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2004, 10:46:37 pm »
Rain was a big problem here in Richmond this past year, talking with the members of my local club I found that not only nectar flow was down but also pollen collection, which means that many will have to feed pollen in the spring.
"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"