Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: contamnination in wax  (Read 2221 times)

Offline heaflaw

• House Bee
contamnination in wax
« on: March 04, 2009, 12:28:17 am »
I have read that the recommendation is to replace combs every several years because they store pesticides and other contaminants.  But, I assume most beekeepers then melt those combs and sell them which is then processed into foundation.  So, when we buy foundation, are we not buying someone else's contaminated wax?

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
Re: contamnination in wax
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 04:05:16 am »
They say that when the combs go black, to get rid of em, if not before. I dont think commercial foundation suppliers would use this, or indeed accept it for sale, treated or otherwise.

I gather its flitered somehow, "weed free" is the term they use here, tho I dont know if weed is weed, or weed or something else :roll:

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 12:22:34 pm »
Wouldn't the chemicals go inert if the wax is sitting in the sun inside of a solar wax melter?
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline heaflaw

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 02:09:25 pm »
They say that when the combs go black, to get rid of em, if not before. I dont think commercial foundation suppliers would use this, or indeed accept it for sale, treated or otherwise.

I gather its flitered somehow, "weed free" is the term they use here, tho I dont know if weed is weed, or weed or something else

"Weed"!  Hmmm, if it was weed, I'd sell a lot more comb honey.

Offline BMAC

• Field Bee
    • http://WWW.OLEMCDONALD.COM
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 02:17:28 pm »
Wouldn't the chemicals go inert if the wax is sitting in the sun inside of a solar wax melter?

While some chemicals do alter themselves with time, others do not.  I personally use the rendered wax from such comb only to seal my leather boots.  I do not sell it.
God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 07:18:12 pm »
If you treat your hives with chemicals that contain heavy metals or are oil based the wax absorbs them. If you buy wax foundation from any of the major suppliers out there the foundation has chemicals in it.

Dark wax can affect honey and it's color or flavor.

You do not need to replace brood frames however if it has gotten brittle it probably needs to go. Usually bees will chew off old wax and replace it.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 09:23:44 pm »
>So, when we buy foundation, are we not buying someone else's contaminated wax?
Yes, you are.  Maryann Frazier has done the research on this. 

You can see a presentation by her here:
http://www.beeuntoothers.com/

Go to about the middle for the part about new foundation being contaminated.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin