Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Drones  (Read 1372 times)

Offline Haddon

• House Bee
  • FEMA Trailer Removal
    • Mikes Bee Removal
Drones
« on: May 19, 2011, 04:42:27 pm »
 I have a queenless hive that is full of drones they are left over of the last queen preparing for a swarm.
Question I have is they look to be acting strange some days almost like I am getting robbed by drones. I have a VSH queen on the way to replace the swarmed off queen.

Here is a link to what the hive looks like

http://youtu.be/VWBdvKgoWjQ

http://youtu.be/Q_d9INErojU

Offline Haddon

• House Bee
  • FEMA Trailer Removal
    • Mikes Bee Removal
Re: Drones
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 04:49:16 pm »
Also the first time I heard/saw it they sounded like a swarm was leaveing in the sky so much so that I wondered around looking in the trees. Its mainly drones doing this the workers going in and out I believe are just normal in and outs of my workers.

Offline L Daxon

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 05:09:41 pm »
The obvious question is are sure you don't have a laying worker.  A laying worker can only produce drones.  How long do you think you have been queenless?
linda d

Offline Haddon

• House Bee
  • FEMA Trailer Removal
    • Mikes Bee Removal
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 05:17:45 pm »
last check no brood in hive at all drone production ramps up before swarming and I had intended to use the swarm cells to stock splits so I didnt cut drone cells out. But I missed the first queen cutting out so the hive swarmed and I lost all the cells and the virgin didn't make it back to the hive. I would bet I have three weeks sense first swarm. But last look no brood at all That was little over a week ago.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 06:17:50 pm »
Look again in a week. They are waiting for her to hit the air. I'm guessing in a week you will have few drones and many eggs.

If you try to introduce a queen and she ends up dead, you will know I guessed right.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Haddon

• House Bee
  • FEMA Trailer Removal
    • Mikes Bee Removal
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 06:48:23 pm »
How long does it take for her to hit the air I know this weekend will be at least 3 weeks since she cut out.
 :?

Oh and it has not rained once cool a few days but nothing that should stop her.

anything