Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Anyone use plastic bee hives?  (Read 31782 times)

Offline Chiefman

• House Bee
Re: Anyone use plastic bee hives?
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2015, 04:28:40 am »
Are the nuplas or other plastic give compatible with the wooden hives? Are the stackable?
-= The Urban Beekeeper =-

Offline Rouseabout

• Brood
« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2015, 10:30:17 pm »
I am quite happy with the Hassons Aussie Hive so far, its well constructed with no corner joins or places for Hive Beetles to hide. I put a package of bees into it over the weekend using wooden frames with foundation, the bees had no issue adjusting. I didn't even lock them in there, they emerged of their own accord from the package, performed a cleansing/orientation flight and then returned to the hive, it was an amazing spectacle.
As for the stackable aspect with wood and plastic, I haven't tried it but there are no tabs or grooves with the Hasson Hive so it is possible. The wooden frames were a perfect fit.

There is a photo gallery of the experience here => https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.1049152608434685&type=1

Cheers Rod...

Offline lomatia

• New Bee
« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2015, 11:23:11 pm »
I've made some double mating nucs from the polystyrene boxes in which chemists get insulated deliveries.
They are of course well insulated but not sure about condensation. Easy to put feeding holes and entrances through the poly.

Offline Suncat

• New Bee
« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2015, 08:26:58 pm »
The Nuplas plastic supers stack well with the timber supers and bases and lids that I have.

Thanks
John
John

Offline Richard M

• House Bee
    • Onsite Assessments Tas
« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2015, 06:49:32 am »

....... If you put a value on your labour it wouldn't surprise me if plastic worked out cheaper.........

Willy

If you really put a value on your labour, it's probably cheaper just to buy honey.

I do a fair bit of SCUBA diving, I know a lot of blokes who are mad keen on cray bashing - reckon it's a "free feed". Again, factor in the cost of buying the gear, maintaining it, boat purchase, maintenance and fuel, tow car fuel, training and the fact that you're out for a good 12 hours, they are the most expensive 3 or 4 crayfish you coud ever buy.

Offline Richard M

• House Bee
    • Onsite Assessments Tas
« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2015, 06:51:05 am »
I've made some double mating nucs from the polystyrene boxes in which chemists get insulated deliveries.
They are of course well insulated but not sure about condensation. Easy to put feeding holes and entrances through the poly.

If they're adequatly ventilated, they couldn't be any worse than any other material.

anything