Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Beekeeper meeting etiquette?  (Read 3568 times)

Offline BadMoonRising

• New Bee
Beekeeper meeting etiquette?
« on: October 30, 2014, 09:45:56 pm »
The calendar is a bit vague, but I will be sending in dues tomorrow to join up. I want to get to some meeting and try to take the course in April.
I live in NJ and will be joining the two closer clubs to me to try to get as much exposure and education as possible first.
Now for the questions...
Is it ok to just show up to these meetings? I am not sure how long it takes to process the membership. Should I email permission first?
Are there any other Jersey keepers here?

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
Re: Beekeeper meeting etiquette?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 10:32:48 pm »
In Ga. Its come on in and check us out . the more the merryer. Sit on down and spend a while
:-D

John

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 10:54:02 pm »
'bout the same in Alabama. At the two meetings I go to, you don't have to be a member to attend. If you want to join, $10 for the membership and $15 for the T shirt (not required but we sho make it look good!)  :)
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 11:17:21 pm »
Pretty much the same at our local club. The best way to boost attendance is to let someone come and join if they wish. :)

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 11:30:55 pm »
If you are not welcomed I would be really surprised.  If they are not happy to see you, go find a different group it is their loss!

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 12:29:33 am »
same here in south Florida come to them if you like join

the December meeting is the Christmas party here

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2014, 09:36:50 pm »
We have several older folks at our meetings. I'm thinking about putting to a vote that we all need to get tattoos with our bee keeping logo. That's get things going..,
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 10:17:17 pm »
We beg everyone to come, and bring friends and family. If they want to join, fine. It's not mandatory.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2014, 05:31:42 am »
The calendar is a bit vague, but I will be sending in dues tomorrow to join up. I want to get to some meeting and try to take the course in April.
I live in NJ and will be joining the two closer clubs to me to try to get as much exposure and education as possible first.
Now for the questions...
Is it ok to just show up to these meetings? I am not sure how long it takes to process the membership. Should I email permission first?
Are there any other Jersey keepers here?
Not sure which.clubs you are referring to but my father in law, Lou, is very active in one in Central Jersey. I am quite sure they will welcome all new comers. The purpose of a bee club is to teach beekeeping to new and old Beekeepers. Walk ins are welcome.
Lou is in his mid 80's. If you see him tell him I said hi.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline kingd

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2014, 05:48:23 am »
We have several older folks at our meetings. I'm thinking about putting to a vote that we all need to get tattoos with our bee keeping logo. That's get things going..,

Thats funny!
            The wife just said the other day that we need to get a tattoo of a bee or bees.

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2014, 09:11:38 am »
Just show up at the next meeting.
Beekeepers as a whole, are a very friendly group and welcome the chance to teach others what they have learned.
New faces are always greeted with an outstretched hand around here!

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2014, 11:33:52 am »
they tried to tattoo me a couple a months ago. they had no ink in their pens.

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2014, 01:25:01 pm »
I’ve been to a few meetings around here, but I’m still trying to find a group of like minded beeks though. :-D

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2014, 05:59:56 pm »
Our meetings at the Trinity Valley Beekeepers Association in Dallas are open to anyone, whether they are a member or not, and they can keep coming month after month without "joining" or paying anything.  I'll bet that's true of most clubs.  We pay membership dues to help with the expenses, not as a duty imposed on us.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

anything