Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Can someone help with bees?  (Read 8831 times)

Offline Tyro

• House Bee
Can someone help with bees?
« on: April 26, 2009, 10:28:27 am »
I don't know if this is the appropriate forum to post my problem, so I ask the administrators to please move or delete it if it is inappropriate.

So here goes:  This year, I dutifully ordered my package bees early (February) and, for the second year in a row, I am not able to get bees.  This time it is not the fault of the supplier, it was simply a matter not fully knowing the shipping policies of the Post Office and FedEx.  The end result was that my bees got shipped all the way to the FedEx terminal and were returned to the supplier because FedEx won't fly package bees.  I have checked into getting a late package, but now, the costs are astronomical (almost $300 to ship two packages to my location).  I am budgeted for a little more than half that cost.

This makes two years in a row that I have ordered bees (from different suppliers), paid faithfully and ended up with no bees and a refund check.  Don't get me wrong, having the money back is great, but it only makes about 35lbs of honey and I have to drive to the store to 'extract' it.  Can anybody out there help me with a late package?  I will even take a package of bulk bees and order the queen separately, if necessary (for some reason, getting queens is no problem at my location, but packages are nearly impossible).  Thanks to all. 

Offline jimmy

• House Bee
Re: Can someone help with bees?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 10:58:25 am »
Are close to Towner,N.D. ? I am not from N.D. but know a beek there.

The folks I am talking about is Dwight Gunther Honey , a commerical beek in Towner,Mn. I have his local listing in Mississippi but he returns to Mn in the spring. Good luck in you future bee endeavors.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 02:50:56 pm by jimmy »

Offline Tyro

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 11:16:54 am »
260 miles.  I am pretty much on my own out here in western ND.  I suspect I am the only hobby beekeeper for at least 4 hours in any direction!  If the beek you know comes south to I94 ever and can help, PM me and I will give you (and them) my contact info.

Thanks

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 11:23:17 am »
Try Mason Maxwell in turtle lake and see if he can sell you a hive.

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 08:35:10 am »
I am pretty much on my own out here in western ND.  I suspect I am the only hobby beekeeper for at least 4 hours in any direction!
I suspect you're not. ND is a leading honey producer. Have you tried contacting members of the State Bee Association about getting bees?  I'm sure they would be able to get you connected. The link below is a page with links to members of the State Board, listed by region. There's another link - Bee Locations - that lists 310 pages of apiaries (by county) in ND.
http://www.agdepartment.com/Programs/Plant/Apiary.html

Offline Tyro

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 02:52:22 pm »
I have checked out the state services.  North Dakota is the leading honey producer and there are plenty of beekeepers around me (at least 2 in my town), but they are all commercial beekeepers.  My past experiences with them have indicated to me that they are not very interested in hobby beekeeper concerns (they generally aren't interested in selling 1 hive, for example).  I can't say that I blame them, they are running a business and trying to make a living, my guess is that it isn't worth their time.  I have been to the link provided (thank you though) - again, the state's focus is commercial, I have not found any services for hobby beekeepers - but, of course, that doesn't necessarily mean that they aren't there.  Thank you for replies though.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 07:26:34 am »
This from another post I put up for you
http://nd.craigslist.org/grd/1126627698.html

Ck here for replies too,hope it helps:
http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,21700.0.html

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 07:42:55 am »
... but they are all commercial beekeepers.  My past experiences with them have indicated to me that they are not very interested in hobby beekeeper concerns (they generally aren't interested in selling 1 hive, for example).  I can't say that I blame them, they are running a business and trying to make a living, my guess is that it isn't worth their time. 
Sorry to read that, Tyro. I'm surprised. The commerical guys I know here in Indiana all try to generate multiple income streams in order to make a living off bees: honey, pollination, bees, queens, etc.

Offline Tyro

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 08:51:26 am »
You know, they aren't bad guys (I even know 2 in my town), but, I think, they just have different priorities.  Up here, you never know just how much rain you are going to get in a summer (we average around 13 inches of precip a year).  So, I suspect (and I am speculating), they are trying to protect their stock so that they can increase sufficiently and have enough bees before they head west in November.  But that is just my guess. 

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 11:17:58 am »
I am keeping my fingers crossed for you, what a bummer. I really hope someone can help you out.

Offline Cheryl

• House Bee
  • top bar beekeeper
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 01:48:33 pm »
I have bees to GIVE away, but unfortunately I'm in no condition to ship them (nor would they be acclimated to your area).

Sigh.
We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.

~ Aristotle

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 09:31:51 pm »
Tyro,
I PMed you some info :
If you never used pMS BEFORE,CLICK ON" MY MESSAGES" AT TOP OF PAGE.

Offline Tyro

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2009, 05:28:22 pm »
To All,

I just wanted to let everyone know that I ordered two packages today from Tim at Arrowsmith apiaries - Yesterday was their last day to shake bees, but Tim went out of his way to contact his field crew and shake a couple of extra packages for me.  My contacting Tim (and the subsequent packages) were a direct result of the people posting on this board.

I want to thank all who expressed their concern, offered advice and helped me out.  I was really overwhelmed by the response, both on the public board and in my personal messages, to my situation.  I never expected that so many would take such a personal interest in seeing me (an anonymous name on a forum and otherwise total stranger) get bees this year and be able to keep my hobby going.  The beekeepers on this board really are great people.  Many thanks again to all.  I will always remember this experience and will do my best to reciprocate this generosity to other fellow beekeepers in kind.

Mike Shaughnessy

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2009, 08:00:50 pm »
 Fantastic!!  Mike that is so great that you are getting your bees.I am so excited for you!!
You are right about the people here, I have found them to be the best group around and I hope you stick around the forum and get to know everyone even more.
I think you will enjoy your time here if you do.
I wish you the best with your beekeeping endevour!

Offline Tyro

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2009, 08:19:18 am »
Final update:

Bees arrived yesterday afternoon from Arrowsmith Apiaries.  Two packages healthy - few dead.  Kudos to Tim for delivering the bees and kudos to all of you out there who helped and pulled for it to happen.  I get to do my first package installs in ND this weekend!

Mike

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2009, 08:38:03 am »
Good luck,and have a fun weekend!!
 Great to hear it came together for you.

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee