Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: extract of almonds  (Read 2324 times)

Offline bill

• House Bee
extract of almonds
« on: June 30, 2005, 09:01:01 am »
I read in one of the posts I read of using extract of almonds to clear bees out of a super. Does it work. I guess it would be the get the heckout of here pheromone :D
billiet

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
extract of almonds
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2005, 01:41:32 pm »
I don't know if it works or not, but Fischer Bee Quick smells much like almond flavoring (aka benzaldehyde) and by all accounts it works, although I've never tried it.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline SherryL

• House Bee
extract of almonds
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2005, 11:34:10 pm »
I think that was my post Bill....

I read about almond extract somewhere - didn't have any Bee Go or Bee Quick, so I used what I had.  It worked OK, don't have a fume board so I soaked a towel.  Wasn't a very warm day either - high 60's - I think those fume agents work the best with hot weather.

If I were spending the money I'd pick up some Bee Quick, but I needed it right at the moment, and the extract was all I had.  I have to say, the girls definitely reacted to it right away.  They started buzzing (rather than the normal hum) and seemed to be a bit agitated by it.  I used my unlit smoker to 'push' the fumes down into the super, but not sure that had much effect.  Remember, there were only 100 or so bees left in the super at the point I pulled out the extract, don't know how effective it would have been on a super FULL of bees.

The other thing to keep in mind is that almond extract sells for about $2.50 - $2.75 for a little 2oz. bottle - probably more expensive than Bee Quick!  It just happened to be what I had on hand yesterday.