Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: is this robbing? and I have no choice but to give away this hive  (Read 2249 times)

Offline Billybee

• House Bee
    • My myspace page for beekeeping
Wednesday mid morning I came out to this
 robbing at feeder in mid morning?
now I was trying to pull a black bee up with the shim. I have seen more of these in the last couple of days. They are also bigger than my bees and when they come around they get attacked so I kill em. Every once in a while I would see bees around the rim of that feeder. Today it looked like that.

I took the feeder out and plugged the hole where it was.

I came out around 6 and saw this going on
possible robbing around 6 pm

now it looked like there was orientation flights while this was going on but, to my untrained eye it looked hostile and felt that way too. So. Is it robbing and whats my next move with zero money. I have tools, wood, screen and such. I put the feeder back in this evening and wrapped it with a paint strainer to keep bees off of the outside.

I live in hammonton New Jersey. I have not had any work so I have to leave the house I am at and can not take the bees with me.  :(It is a foundationless hive with some out of wack comb that I have rubberbanded back in. I have had to work out of state so I couldnt keep as close an eye as I woud have liked. I will give this hive away to someone who will take it. I would like a couple of bucks for the gear if possible. Its all brand new except the lid and inner cover. Brushy mountain screened bottom board and hive bodies.
Can somebody tell me where I can find a foundation tree?

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: is this robbing? and I have no choice but to give away this hive
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 09:52:37 pm »
When robbing from other hives goes on, you can see bees rolling each other and fighting.   Bees look fine on the video.

Why are you feeding them, I see you are running at least 2 hive boxes there on the video.

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 10:13:07 pm »
Like Allen said. Looks like a good productive hive. When they are fed in a dearth they get excited but they look like they are not fighting. The black bees are probably of your Queen that mated with several types of drones so if they are honey bees stop killing them. Hope someone helps you out and gives you some funds to be fair to you.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 10:38:59 pm »
1st  feeding.  leave them alone.  don't kill bees just because they are a different color. 

2nd orientation flights.  if it had been robbing, you would have been stung.

i'm not a fan of open feeding past early spring.  it can draw undesirable bees in for competition.....however, if you do it way away from your hives, it's probably not so bad.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 10:46:33 pm »
IMHO Thee bees are not robbing and boardman feeders are the worst when it comes to robbing and I will not use them...

http://robo.bushkillfarms.com/beekeeping/feeder-compare/

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 11:31:35 pm by Jim 134 »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Wolfer

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 11:15:30 pm »
You should be able to sell that hive on Craigslist

Offline Billybee

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 08:03:01 am »
Thanks for the feedback. FYI I reduced the entrance to the smallest notch on the reducers from Brushy. I was gonna do that anyway this event made it happen faster.
 There are 2 boxes. I have the third up there because I took out this really huge wide frame that is full of uncapped honey and could not put it back in without making a huge mess. Since I have no work heres my thinking on this. The frame is sitting in the third box alone. I was hoping they would cap it and I would yank it in a perfect world. I look on the lid for comb building every day and theyre not. There is some what looks to me like drone brood and a patch of comb looking like a brown gel or something in it. In total about 4 square inches. This is another weak point. I suck at I.D.ing anything.
I have kept feeding them since I got them to be sure theywere making it. I had heard that the bees from the farms in my area had been starving this year. I live in 8 acres of woods in Hammonton and I always see a lot of pollen going in and the honey is starting to actually have a color.vs clear like syrup. I have also read if they stop taking it they dont need it. I will stop the bottom board feeder and just do the bag thing on top unless someone says they dont need it. Im just not qualified to make that call and I dont know anyone that keeps bees. There is so much crap on my area beekeepers site that I cant make heads or tails from it. Besides money and time that is why I dont join a club here. Way too many opinions from what I see and I am not one to handle a bombardment of people I normally wouldnt deal with telling me 100 different things and they all think they are all right. I did alright with the valued info I got from this forum when I lived in Florida (I was an assosiation member there but, not enough open mindedness for me).

Anyway gotta keep packing

Thanks again for the knowledge

Bill

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 11:54:55 am »
also read if they stop taking it they dont need it.

sometimes true.  often not.  they will just fill the brood area and restrict the queens ability to lay.  you may end up with swarming.

the best way to tell what they need is to look inside.  if they have store, you don't need to feed.  if they don't, feed.  as for that fat frame, i would pull it and freeze it.  you can feed it back later.  or, cut it and let them clean up the mess.  they'll restore what drips.  use some care in where you do this as it can cause some robbing in that hive if you get it all over the place.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Billybee

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 12:39:21 pm »
I will do the cut thing tommorow and feed back. Will keep it neat I will do it int he house then bring back to hive.Things are far calmer now with feeding inside and entrance reduced.
Feeding will stop as well.

anything