Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Ball cap advertising issue?  (Read 5356 times)

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
Ball cap advertising issue?
« on: July 07, 2008, 11:28:26 pm »
 I just got back from driving almost 9 hours round trip so I could get bee hive stuff. It cost almost the same in gas as it would have for freight, and it was a nice road trip for my wife and I.
At any rate, after being asked if there was anything else I needed, my wife asked if they had any ball caps, to which the person replied,"Sure, right behind you on the shelf."..Then, Janelle asked,"How much?"
The woman says,"12.95."
 So, I say, "How 'bout me leaving my REDSOX cap on the shelf and trading for one of yours?".....No reply. :-\
  I spent $410.00....
Now, I've been thinking this over :?........
 I spent over 400.00.......Now they want me to pay them for advertising their business?????
Now that I think of it, I've spent over 1000.00 since last spring at this same place :-x
I'm THIS CLOSE<----->...To putting their name here....Most all of you guys know of this company.
 By the way, the cap's not that attractive anyways :-x
I'll most likely continue to deal with this Co. as its closers than Mann Lake..Just dont seem right, does it?

your friend,
john

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
Re: Ball cap advertising issue?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 11:40:24 pm »
HI Johnny  you must be going to the wrong Branch here in CALI they gladly gave me TWO ball caps O did I mention the tab was close to $6000  8-) and a three hour drive  ;)  8-) RDY-B                 one more thing you might find interesting my dadant caps are made in CHINA my Betterbee cap is made in china my Mannlake cap is made in USA  :lol:  RDY-B

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 12:12:47 am »
Ok,...rdb-y.

heh heh,....let me get this straight...Hmmmm....So, all I gotta do is spend only 5000$ more, and me and Janelle can get our caps?
 I sent the post to "The Place"....Lets see what they say.
Shoot, I DONT even want the cap, you know what I mean?.....Its "The Principle" of the thing now.
I had 20 tshirts made a couple of years ago for "Johns Lure Factory"..( Of course I only have about 20 regular customers anyways :) )I had given them away to my customers in about 2 weeks....I'm definitely NOT a business man. I cant even pay my bills on what I make selling my lures..But I DO feel like I treat every one of my customers as I would want to be treated, and usually better!

Your friend,
john

Offline Frantz

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 12:18:48 am »
Amen John, Amen. There is no service in this world anymore. I had the same experience not long ago. I go in buy a $60K vehicle, made a few comments about a couple of hats and such. No go! I almost tried to cancel the purchase, its the principle like you said. It drives me crazy. I came from a small town, and you could almost always count on the store owners to give us kids candy, or something everytime we would go in. Just isn't the same anymore, and thats sad in my book.
I feel your pain bother John, I feel your pain.
Frantz
Don't be yourself, "Be the man you would want your daughters to marry!!"

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 12:38:42 am »
well maybe you should try a different approach like showing up with a pizza your a generous fellow-my mother always told me if you do good things- good things will come to you -your day will come soon enough  8-)

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 08:31:01 am »

Times have changed;
Not many years ago when you went to a county or state fair, companys gave out pens. pencils. coffee cups, hats, rulers, key rings and many other advertising promotions! Oh, don't forget all of the hand fans, and the printed bags to carry all the stuff.

Now very few company's give anything at all, some will if you beg real nice !!

Very few freebies in the world too day, MONEY is what it's about !

The last printed ballcaps we gave out at the county fair, cost I believe, was $1.87 each bought by the gross, so we did not pass them to everyone. Should have sold them for $12.00 now thats PROFIT !!

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 09:18:20 am »
I agree w/ you all it finally does come down to is money the companies are pinching pennies just like everyone else. My vendors when they come around now do not give out the free stuff like they used to. my office used to have so much stuff in it ( calenders mouse pads hats shirts memo pads rulers) it was hard for people to know who I actually worked for. Now all that stuff has dates from a few years back no real new stuff has replaced it. vendors just don't give it out anymore. I guess times are tough for the salespeople too.

More along the lines of beekeeping I always like to think that I spend a lot of money with my beesupplier but I get on the forums and am humbled by some of the money spent by you guys 5K wow :shock:

Keith

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 09:42:27 am »
I go one further. Not only will I not buy anything that has some company name on it I will not wear/advertise for anyone unless they want to pay me to do it. No since in being a walking billboard for free.

I hear you Keith, a lot of these people are rich on here.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 09:51:03 am »
How about about that sign posted on the back of your car !  :?
 Joe-Blow - dealership !!
Tell the dealer to remove it, or, pay you $15.00 a month advertiseing fee !  :evil:

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 09:56:08 am »
To me it comes down to good training from the top dog, and common sense, which you would think most people should have but sadly, its lacking.

When I go the the market to pay my shop clerk's wages I believe I should be greeted with a warm smile and a hello, maybe its just me, but I feel the customer comes first, unless they are an a-hole.

Johnny, if I were your clerk I would have given you 2 caps and a t-shirt, a hug and a big sloppy kiss!

Ok, maybe not the sloppy kiss, but you get where I'm coming from.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 10:16:09 am »
How about about that sign posted on the back of your car !  huh
 Joe-Blow - dealership !!
Tell the dealer to remove it, or, pay you $15.00 a month advertiseing fee !

I was just going to mention that one.  I typically remove it myself.  In 2005 when I got back from Iraq, I had purchased a Dodge Ram through a military vehicle buying program that is offered to us.  Well, the vehicle was to be delivered to Joe Schmoe's dealership.  Keep in mind that it was not purchased through Joe Schmoe's dealership...all they were supposed to do was accept delivery, complete the paperwork, and do the cleaning of the truck.  Well, when I picked up the truck and did the walk-around, wouldn't you believe that the darn dealership decal was put on.  I didn't make a scene about it, but I was irked over it.  It came off the next day.   :evil:
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 01:00:54 pm »
John, I would have given you 2 hats & a bandanna w/my logo & phone #! I have my own small home business (besides the honey & soon to be Dexter cattle)& treat my customers like royalty.  You can't receive Gods gifts if your hands are clenched into fists clutching bits of fools gold!  I myself won't use any business that didn't treat me (or anyone I know...) right & am not shy about telling others about my experiences both good & bad. Referrals & loyalty are a large part of any business (unless it's the only one in town...) My customers are so loyal they can't be lured away.  I have my own advertising program.  I don't pay them but my customers can get %'s off or free stuff for referrals. The personal touch is missing in so many places now. I also try to use local business if possible, specially small ones like myself.  I like knowing who I'm dealing with & that they will stand behind their service or product.  Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 02:01:41 pm »
I also try to use local business if possible,

I am with you there.  I even try to use the smaller chain hardware stores (Coles for instance) instead of Lowes when possible.  The personal touch is still there to some degree.  Giving Lowes their due credit though, I think their customer service is top notch.  I can go in there and not even ask an employee for help and they stop and ask if I need assistance.  Go to their competitor (the big orange box that Tony Stewart races for, if you catch my drift) and you can be standing there for 20 minutes AFTER you requested help.  Nope...won't go there.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2008, 06:56:21 pm »
Ok, I just figured who still gives out free stuff.
 Pharmaceutical companies!! :-D...Look at all the pens, coffee mugs, and refrigerator magnets, and other "Carnival prizes" you see everywhere with medicine names on them :shock:
 Another thing the drug companies do....They buy lunch for all the drs offices they visit during the day!
Kanna, Pauls wife, gets free lunch every day and so does all the other girls in the office because the drug Co.'s bring it. Kanna even says that the office people have become "Choosy" about the food now, requesting what the reps should bring, and the reps comply!
 They all pretty much have big butts now.....From eating all the "Heart Healthy" foods brought in by reps selling heart medicine and cholesterol medicines.
Oh, yeh,....Check this out,........I get pens from "National Pen Company"...This is really a great way to advertise!..And very CHEAP!..And people like them and use them!
 I take these pens to my real job as we always need pens cuzza customers leaving with them. Anyways, I'd bring in about 50 or so at a time...They'd all be gone in a few days..I didnt figure out what was actually going on until about six months later :-\
 My partner at work, Lee, was showing me something in his truck...Out of curiosity, I looked in his center console....... :shock: :shock:.....There were about 300 pens in there!!!!!.....I'd bring the pens in, Lee would take them and keep them!!...He said he was giving them out to his friends!!..I said back to him, "What,... do your friends give them all back???".
 I'm waiting on a reply now from the Bee stuff place...nothing yet.....
 You know what?...after some of you mentioning the car bumper stuff, I bet we're gonna see a lawsuit soon from people who want to get paid for years of advertising...Who here wants to go first?

your friend,
john

Offline klesage121

• New Bee
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2008, 07:04:53 pm »
All depends on the person you happen to walk up on.  I have been at places even the orange box and lowes where there aint 1 person in sight and you hit that little help button and you stand there for 15 minutes waiting on someone to come along and stop the whole customer needs assistance in ______.  I have been to those places and like someone else said 4 or 5 workers walk past you askin if you need help.  I have asked for help and the person say yeah its on aisle 14 and there again the person has left there section walked me over to the other side of the store and say yeah I was right I just didn't want you to walk over here and think I was crazy lol.  And uumm  if my bill was 6,000 I'd be passin out, I freaked cause I spent 600.  

Offline tlynn

• Field Bee
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2008, 08:01:15 pm »
Maybe the focus is in the wrong place.  What about putting the focus on them - the person serving you, whether it be the Dadant dealer, waiter, supermarket clerk or whoever.  What's going on with them?  How's their day going?  What do they enjoy doing in their off hours, etc.  I get to know them a little bit.  How many people do you think they run across during in their lives who actually take time to be interested in them?  I just got an Amazon gift certificate from a vendor who says I am one of his best customers.  It's not that I spend a lot of money with him (definitely not); the conversation is always about him, his daughter's soccer league, the new house, his wife, etc.  Kind of funny, he doesn't know much of anything about me.  It makes people feel so important to be acknowledged.  They will go out of their way to help you if you make them feel like that.  And of course it has to be genuine.  Takes practice for sure.  Life works so much better for me when I take the focus off myself...

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2008, 09:16:13 pm »
Maybe the focus is in the wrong place.  What about putting the focus on them - the person serving you, whether it be the Dadant dealer, waiter, supermarket clerk or whoever.  What's going on with them?  How's their day going?  What do they enjoy doing in their off hours, etc.  I get to know them a little bit.  How many people do you think they run across during in their lives who actually take time to be interested in them?  I just got an Amazon gift certificate from a vendor who says I am one of his best customers.  It's not that I spend a lot of money with him (definitely not); the conversation is always about him, his daughter's soccer league, the new house, his wife, etc.  Kind of funny, he doesn't know much of anything about me.  It makes people feel so important to be acknowledged.  They will go out of their way to help you if you make them feel like that.  And of course it has to be genuine.  Takes practice for sure.  Life works so much better for me when I take the focus off myself...

It works on both ends, but if you don't like being nice to people, either take a vacation or get out of the service industry.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2008, 11:48:13 pm »
Tlynn, I agree with your opinion....My newest venture in life is to "Put myself in their shoes".
 This is a quote I copied out of my letter to "This Place" to try and show you how I am with people one on one.
    "I've had dealings with Terri from your Paris Tx facility on several occasions and she is always very professional, courteous, and pleasant. I'm sure, unfortunately, in this instance she is only following company policy. There was no confrontation or argument over this issue."

My wife and I are both very personable, friendly, caring, and fair people.( Hmmmm...Or Maybe I'm a jerk and just dont know it)
We actually had a nice time talking with the girl helping us. I've had lengthy conversations with her in the past about bees, family, work, and life in general, and I would consider her a new friend.
 I did not mention the other employee who was strictly business and made my wife and I feel like intruders in his space...I would consider this person to be "In the wrong line of business, not capable of being in the customer service industry" ( Like that, JP?)....Like Janelles is saying....."Tell them about US having to load our own truck!"
Well, there ya go....And Tlynn,....Its nice that you stuck your neck out for someone you dont know. :)

rdb-y,
I like the way your mom thinks!
 For me though, I have been done right many more times than i deserve, I think.
 As a matter of fact, usually, when someone asks me "Hows it going?", or "How are you?" I always respond, "Better'n I deserve!"
 And JP....Will you still love me after you see me?..I'll be waiting for that KISS! :-*

heh heh heh....(Mutley Laff...)

your friend,
john

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2008, 11:48:59 pm »
I also try to use local business if possible,

I am with you there.  I even try to use the smaller chain hardware stores (Coles for instance) instead of Lowes when possible.  The personal touch is still there to some degree.  Giving Lowes their due credit though, I think their customer service is top notch.  I can go in there and not even ask an employee for help and they stop and ask if I need assistance.  Go to their competitor (the big orange box that Tony Stewart races for, if you catch my drift) and you can be standing there for 20 minutes AFTER you requested help.  Nope...won't go there.

Try over 2 hours.  I went to buy a shower stall to install in the studio apartment behind the garage, knew what I wanted and where it was.  After finding a "customer service rep" I waited for 30 minutes...no show.  I found another one, waited another 30 minutes...no show.  Finally I found one and dogged his heals for an hour be fore I got service, then it took 6 people to get the shower stall.  One to drive the forklift, 2 to walk ahead and behind waving warning signs. 2 to carry the aisle barriers, and the "rep" I had dogged to point it out the correct item for the forklift operator.

When you go to a store to buy something and you have to take the salesperson by the hand and show them where the item is in their own store (tin roofing for the pigeon pen) yoou know somethings terribly wrong.  
I'm not going back to give the Orange Box any more of my business.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2008, 02:49:24 am »
John, will I still love you after I see you? What on earth are you talking about dude? :-*

Hey, Terri is one fine gal over in Paris, I always ask for her, Connie is nice, but Terri is nice, knowledgeable and goes out of her way to make you feel as though you're her only customer,  now I can also tell that you wouldn't want to be on her bad side!

...JP

anything