Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Russians... advice needed/wanted  (Read 7354 times)

Offline Belewsboy

• New Bee
Re: Russians... advice needed/wanted
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2012, 10:37:17 pm »
From Ray Bayless...
"Hey,
I could tell the difference in mite load between my Italian and Russian hives this year. I didn't do a sugar shake but the only hive I had come down with deformed wings were Itallian. I don't think Russian bees are mite free but they are supposed to be resistant to both trachea and varroa mites. Have you seen a difference?"

Hey, Ray...
   I really can't say quite yet.  Again I'm a first year beek and I've only had my Russians since June.  I will say this...I was under the (incorrect) assumption that new hives rarely get heavy mite loads during their first year.  As I said before, I have 2 Italians and 2 Russians and they are all grouped within a few feet of each other.  Just for the heck of it I slid in the white grid IPM sticky boards under all the hives and then pulled them 3 days later.  No sugar dusting or anything.  1 Italian and 1 Russian hive had huge mite drops.  The other 2 had practically none.  The Italian with mites showed some DWV, but the Russian did not.
   So...as far as I can tell so far, I don't see a lot of difference between the two breeds as to how they deal with mites.  I'm pretty sure that if I had not treated them, the mites would have won.  Maybe after I keep them another year I will have a better feel for their differences.  Hope this helps.

JE

Offline lazy shooter

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2012, 11:54:33 am »
I hate to answer a question with a question, but has anyone ever successfully raised Russian Bees in the deep south or the southern part of Texas

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2012, 11:59:27 am »
Charlie Harper raised Russians in the deep south for many years.

Of course the whole idea of taking a cold winter hardy bee and propogating them in Louisiana for many years was questionable to me. But that is the Government for ya!  :-D
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com